Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tips for removing old 3/4 brass vent?

Jells
Jells Member Posts: 576
Well, I didn't get lucky. Wanted to swap out what appears to be a nonfunctional main vent for a Gorton 2, but the hex didn't hold a large Crescent and even a 24" pipe wrench couldn't get enough traction on it. If this were in an easy to reach spot I'd cut it off and cut out the stub from the inside, but this is a pretty awkward location for that. Ideas?

And yes, I realize that's probably asbestos and I should wear a mask.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    edited January 2022
    I would soak the threads with PB Blaster or Kroil....several times.

Then "3 point" your pipe wrench on the largest part of the vent.
    That is having the bare hook of the movable jaw against the back side of the vent.
    This helps egg shaping the brass.
    If the jaws slip, perhaps a better pipe wrench is in order.

Also a spray bottle of water will keep the insulation from turning to dust.
  • Jells
    JUGHNE said:

If the jaws slip, perhaps a better pipe wrench is in order.

Thanks. I know how to apply a wrench, but I'll give the penetrant a try. Yeah, sometimes Grandpa's 80 year old tools aren't the best choice! Is sharpening your pipe wrench a thing?
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,459
    Hi and yes, you can sharpen pipe wrenches. If the steel in the jaw is soft enough, a small triangular file will work. If not, use a Dremel tool with the right angled grinding stone. Another trick for getting the vent loose is to try tightening a bit first.

Yours, Larry
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Could try a chain wrench or maybe vice grips too but you would have to be real careful about not just snapping it off with the vice grips.
  • Jells
    Thanks all. I'm going to try the PB Blaster with a 14" but newer genuine Stillson. More appropriate size for that fitting anyway. I'll have a pipe ready to slip on the handle if I need more leverage. Pulling hard on a wrench while standing on a ladder is always good for a few heart stopping moments!

I'll also try and and sharpen up Grandpa's wrench with a die grinder and stone.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,459
    Hi, Maybe you should consider removing enough of the insulation so you can get a second wrench on the pipe. With that, you can just squeeze between the wrenches without any heat-stopping moments!

Yours, Larry
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    edited January 2022
    @Jells You have the right idea. A smaller wrench with a cheater will work better you will get more teeth on the vent. Emt conduit for a cheater is lighter and easier to use
    mattmia2
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,055
    edited January 2022
    Yes, that Probably IS Asbestos. Get a can of encapsulant and spray it down.
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    pecmsg said:

Yes, that Probably IS Asbestos. Get a can of encapsulant and spray it down.

That was the chain wrench I was thinking of.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,488
    If your going to spray water to control free asbestos put a drop or two of dish washing liquid in the spray bottle and shake it up. That acts as a surfactant and makes the water more slippery so penetrates better.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge