Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: All That History Nonsense

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 665
edited January 2022 in THE MAIN WALL

All That History Nonsense

In this episode, Dan Holohan explains why this “history nonsense” gives us the insight we need to keep things in perspective and solve the toughest heating problems.

Listen and subscribe here.

Thank you to our sponsor SupplyHouse.com.
EdTheHeaterMan

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,492
    Hi, I’m really hoping that Anonymous hears this and shakes his head, having learned just how important it is to know where we’ve been. These stories have such good teachings in them!

Yours, Larry
  • FStephenMasek
    FStephenMasek Member Posts: 89
    At least the basic facts of all of this could and should be taught in our schools. Instead, they waste time accomplishing little. Go see a high school graduation test from the 1800s, then give it to college sophomores, then watch that most of them can't pass it. Life was much more difficult back then, yet the students learned.
    Author of Illustrated Practical Asbestos: For Consultants, Contractors, Property Managers & Regulators
    delcrossvCLambJUGHNE
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    Thanks for listening. I appreciate you all!
    Retired and loving it.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,567
    I'm still trying to figure out what a Honeywell No. 1 is

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,348

I'm still trying to figure out what a Honeywell No. 1 is

@EdTheHeaterMan, it's the Honeywell Heat Generator: https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/honeywells-heat-generator/

President
    HeatingHelp.com

EdTheHeaterMan
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,092
    Thanks Dan,

That's a good story
  • Peter Rozano
    Peter Rozano Member Posts: 17
    Personally, I love the History Nonsense. More Nonsense!
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 286
    Education and history has taught me there will always be disparities between the rich and poor, the educated and the ignorant when freedom to choose exists. Those eager to work and learn, learn and build wealth. Those who choose not to learn or work don't. This freedom we have makes our history. Lead a horse to water doesn't mean they will drink. But if we are thirsty enough we won't need to be led, we will find it on our own. Sounds harsh but natural laws we live with do not care about how we feel about anything. Seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be opened, ask and ye shall receive. What we have comes from our choices. Dan, don't fret to much. Anonymous may just not be thirsty enough, but the rest seem eager to learn.
    CLamb
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,567
    edited January 2022
    A story about a series of seminars I attended before @DanHolohan Seminars.

Bell and Gossett offered a 1 Day Seminar and it was taught by a man named Joe Flash and it was $125.00 in 1979. That was a small fortune for a guy like me back then. The Supply House owner that gave me my first open charge account, talked me into attending. Joe was a white haired gentleman with an interesting and engaging style of teaching. I remember it was very informative for the first 2 hours and I learned a lot, up and until the coffee break. After the coffee break was new information that was over my head, and I thought the day was a waste of time. (but I did not ask for my money back Dan)

A year goes by and the Supply Company owner, His name was Andy, said i should attend again. I said I didn't get much out of it and turned him down. Andy was persistent and so I bucked up another $125.00 and went downtown to the same hotel conference room an sat thru the class again. It was the same exact class and the first two hours was a nice review of what I has learned last year. After the coffee break, I sat for the second 2 hours and boy did I learn a lot. WOW! was I glad I spent that $125.00. But after lunch the last four hours was over my head. But now I knew the formula! Get another year experience applying my new knowledge and take the course again.

1981 the course was offered for $150.00 and I signed up as soon as it was advertised. I marked my calendar and when the date arrived I was eager to review and learn. I was sitting there for the first two hours and reviewed all the info. After the coffee break the second two hours were also a great review and I lemented to myself at how I used that knowledge over the past year. Then after the lunch break, those next 2 hours were packed with new info that i understood and was pleased to be a member of that class. Boy oh boy, I'm getting to be a real knowledgeable service technician. Knowledge is power and that power makes me more valuable to my customers! My business was growing and all in the world was good.

1982 brought me a beautiful baby girl and a profitable business. I asked Andy about the B&G course. Sadly the very informative Instructor, Joe Flash has passed away. The course was no longer available. They tried it a few times and the class flopped without Joe. I never got to learn that last two hours of that great course. I'll never understand how to use millinches to properly size a whatchamacallit. I still have that binder on the shelf with all the booklets and the chart with the millinches and the Famous B&G System Syzer in a pouch with 3 holes to fit in the binder.

Then @DanHolohan offered his seminars a few years later. Thank goodness for that.

Yours Truly,
    Mr. Ed

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Erin Holohan HaskellratioTinman
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    Thanks, Ed. That was Joe Flash. We used to call him Jumpin' Joe Flash. He was terrific. I heard he died by falling off a ladder while cleaning the leaves out of his gutters. Sad way to go. I also learned a lot from him.
    Retired and loving it.
    EdTheHeaterMan