Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tekmar 150 - Slab temperature varying widely

Options
Greetings all...

I have a radiant floor heating system controlled with a Tekmar 150 thermostat which was recently replaced and was working well for a few weeks.

In the past few days, the measured slab temperature readings on the display have been varying widely and don't seem to be correct. I checked to make sure that the wires coming in to the thermostat are not loose and all seems well. I also tried shutting down the system to allow the thermostat to reboot and that does not seem to have helped the issue.

For now, I am running the circulator pump (Taco 007-F5) continuously and the heating is keeping the room (accessory building in NJ where temps are in 30s and 40s) within the desired range.

Questions:

Any idea as to what is going on with the thermostat or how to troubleshoot it?

Am I going to kill the circulator pump having it run 24/7? Any other downsides to this mode of operation?

Does anyone know of a contractor in Northern NJ (Hudson County area) who specializes in these systems?

Many thanks for any help you can provide and a happy and healthy New Year to all!

Al

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    The tekmar 150 is a setpoint control. It's used to set a temperature in a water tank, pool heater or device that needs a single temperature. A boiler connected to a radiant system uses a different control that is connected to an outdoor sensor and modulates the water temps by either a mixing valve or injection piping. The 150 will be a poor performer compared to the correct control needed.
    Ironman
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    alberg214 said:

Greetings all...

I have a radiant floor heating system controlled with a Tekmar 150 thermostat which was recently replaced and was working well for a few weeks.

In the past few days, the measured slab temperature readings on the display have been varying widely and don't seem to be correct. I checked to make sure that the wires coming in to the thermostat are not loose and all seems well. I also tried shutting down the system to allow the thermostat to reboot and that does not seem to have helped the issue.

For now, I am running the circulator pump (Taco 007-F5) continuously and the heating is keeping the room (accessory building in NJ where temps are in 30s and 40s) within the desired range.

Questions:

Any idea as to what is going on with the thermostat or how to troubleshoot it?

Am I going to kill the circulator pump having it run 24/7? Any other downsides to this mode of operation?

Does anyone know of a contractor in Northern NJ (Hudson County area) who specializes in these systems?

Many thanks for any help you can provide and a happy and healthy New Year to all!

Al

Call Ezzy T . Bergen County
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Ironman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,377
    Options
    No, you won’t wear the circulator out unless something else is wrong with the system hydronics.

As mentioned, not the right control.

Ezzy T is your man.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • alberg214
    alberg214 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I will be in contact with EzzyT to get this system shipshape!
    Al
    Rich_49