Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Non-Commercial Urinal Install

Options
JWest
JWest Member Posts: 16
Hello my plumber friends and Happy Holidays! I have a raised-ranch house. My son lives downstairs where there is no bathroom. He often has his friends over to watch UFC and they all use my washroom sink if you know what I'm saying. I have what you may think is a bad idea to put an actual urinal in mounted to the wall of the closet under the stairs. I would remove the clothes pole and just use it the first 4 feet of closet (where it is tallest) for that purpose. The closet wraps around the corner under the landing to the down flight of stairs where the washroom wall is. The washroom sink drain ties into the washing machine drain and goes into this closet all on this wall. Then they connect to a main pipe under the stairs that leads underground to the septic. Any thoughts on this job? Besides the cost of the urinal, can it be done reasonably? Would it require a permit? Thanks! Jeff

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    where will they wash their hands ?

oh, wait , , , ,
    known to beat dead horses
    JWest
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    been at it since the early 80s, commercial and resi plumbing, never heard of a urinal in a residential setting. Flushomter may need some good flow, but I haven't installed a urinal is over 30 years😃
    In Massachusetts, yes you need a permit.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    JWest
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    Options
    🤮

Tell his friends to stop being a bunch of lazy disgusting pigs or GTFO? It'd be a lot cheaper. 

If someone urinated in one of my sinks I wouldn't be looking to add a urinal, I'd be looking to kick someones a**.
    PC7060
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,291
    Options
    Hi, Maybe look into the waterless variety so no waterline hookup needed. They can smell if not maintained >:)

Yours, Larry
    JWest
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Out here for urinals in small public restrooms that do not have a large water service to, you often see the spring loaded twist valve for flushing. Resembles the old school drinking fountains handle valves. Can cause some water hammer as it snaps shut.

I would recommend a urinal with the largest "target area" possible.
    Some have side china "Modesty" wings as part of the castings, this helps with splash, overspray and late night accuracy. :/

Here, no permit needed. Actually if dark out they could go find some bushes.
    JWestMikeAmann
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    A buddy of mine has a urinal in his man cave. As with anything plumbing, a permit is required. I doubt anyone is going door to door checking though..
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    JWest