Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Protecting Plastic Pipes Against Freezing

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 638
edited December 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
imageProtecting Plastic Pipes Against Freezing

The Plastics Pipe Institute, Inc. (PPI), has published a new Technical Note related to the protection of plastic pressure piping materials against freezing. PPI is the major trade association representing the plastic pipe industry.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Steamfighter49
    Steamfighter49 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    I take it I must be a member in order to see? Not real helpful.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    I would like to know how to successfully insulate pex tubing. Fiberglass rigid pipe insulation doesn't work well with flex pipe. Armaflex in most cased is the wrong ID ..it doesn't fit the pipe sugly enough especially in chilled water applications to prevent condensation so what else is there?????
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    @Steamfighter49, both links are working for me. I'm not a member and it's not asking me to join. What are you seeing?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,299
    Options
    Here's a link to the report (no membership required): https://plasticpipe.org/tn-65

President
    HeatingHelp.com

HomerJSmith
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options

I would like to know how to successfully insulate pex tubing. Fiberglass rigid pipe insulation doesn't work well with flex pipe. Armaflex in most cased is the wrong ID ..it doesn't fit the pipe sugly enough especially in chilled water applications to prevent condensation so what else is there?????

PEX is like refrigeration tubing you need the OD of the pipe. 1/2" requires 5/5" armorflex, 3/4" requires 7/8" Armorflex.