Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

End Plug For Steam Radiator

KenH
KenH Member Posts: 13
Can anyone recommend a solution this this? The existing plug had a hole in it, so I cut it out and installed a black pipe blind plug. I'm guessing due to the taper is till not recess fully.
Anyone know where to get a plug similar to the existing plugs that came with the radiator? Do the still make them? I ordered a 1 1/2" brass cleanout plug to see if that will work. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    edited December 2021
    Is it leaking? It looks cross-threaded to me. See if you can get it in there straight and don't spare the teflon
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    I'm guessing that you have solved the problem of a leaking plug and you just don't like the look of the plug you used for the repair. You want a plug that fits flush when it is tight enough to seal the hole.

I can think of 2 options if the thin brass cleanout plug doesn't work.

1. Use a hack saw and/or grinder to remove the metal that sticks out too far.
    2. Have a plug run thru a cutting die to make the taper happen further up the plug so the taper will allow the plug to turn in deeper.

A machine shop may be able to help you. Automotive, Marine, Welding, or Industrial shops may be able to help. Just shop around.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    KenHcross_skierluketheplumber
  • KenH
    @ethicalpaul @EdTheHeaterMan. No. It’s not leaking anymore and not x threaded. This is a blind plug, would probably sit similar in a modern day fitting.  I think what I’m looking for is a “standard threaded plug”. Hoping the brass clean out will work.  Also, used a healthy amount of Teflon, just removed anything visible with a knife.  Thanks for the help. 
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    @KenH, I think I can come up with one of those if you're not happy with the brass plug. It won't have a nice, glossy powdercoat finish like the radiator, but I can paint it for you. Where are you located?

Is that a Corto, BTW? It looks nice.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • KenH
    @Hap_Hazzard. I have a feeling the brass clean out might work. And I’m ok with the miss matched color.  Just had it blasted and powder coated.  Color is Oyster White.  The guy did a great job, but I think during the blasting or baking process a small hole developed at the edge of the original plug.  I pressure tested the rad before hand and it held for 2 weeks.  So the hole must have happened after I gave it to the PCer. I don’t blame him.  It’s an old unit. These things happen. I have a few more rads I need him to PC so maybe he can fix it.  If not, oh well.  That life in an old house.  Thanks for the offer.  
    Hap_Hazzard
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    I think brass and white look great together. The valve is brass too.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
    KenH
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Oh sorry, I thought there was some problem with the plug other than appearance. it just goes to show you that there is a wide variety of what people will find acceptable--I wouldn't give a second thought to that appearance, it looks nice to me :)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    It would be a lot less noticeable if it were the same color as the radiator.
  • scottie_2
    scottie_2 Member Posts: 14
    Ken H,
    I just went through this exercise converting a used hot water radiator to my one pipe steam, and needed to cap off plugs in the radiator.
    Not sure what size your plug is, but Burnham sells the hex plugs that are used in their new radiators. If you go on their website you can look at their new radiators and associated tech/parts. I needed the 1 1/4 inch plug, Burnham pn 806603537 1-1/4” Plug, which I ended up ordering from supplyhouse.com. Burnham also sells a 1 inch hex plug, Burnham pn 806603536 1” Plug, which is also available from supplyhouse.com. You might be able to find them at local supply houses, none around me had it in stock.
    Much better looking than square pipe plugs
    Good luck!
  • KenH
    @scottie_2 I need 1 1/2”.  Looks like they only make up to 1 1/4”. Thanks for the help.