Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New to Me Toy

Options
JakeCK
JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
edited December 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
I've been playing around with the thermal camera I bought off @Zman and here are some things I've discovered. Probably not surprising to many of you but sharing none the less.

First up is this telling photo. I really should insulate my basement walls. Yes it is below the conditioned space of the house technically. But it appears to be radiating considerably more energy than my old drafty windows.

Second is the attic door. It should come as no surprise that it really needs to be insulated. I was thinking attaching some polyiso foam to the backside. But I do not want to damage the door with adhesive or even screws. Any suggestions? It is weather stripped well so little air leaks into the attic. 

Third up is the upstairs exterior door that goes out on to breakfast nook roof. I'm really considering removing this door entirely. I feel there is no valid reason for a door leading out of my daughters bedroom onto a roof. My only concern is matching the vinyl siding and having the dormer still present. It'll look awkward from outside even if I framed it out to look normal inside. Matching the baseboard will also be a challenge.

Fourth is just how pointless replacement windows are. Double pane vinyl windows vs original 90+ yr old with 60 year old aluminum storms that no longer have any weather striping. 

These last two are just observation. I can see the header that runs above the windows, and in the last one I can see where there used to be casement windows in each side of the fireplace. I've always wondered if they had been removed or if they were never installed since the plans show them.

ZmanSTEVEusaPACorktown

Comments

• MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 997
    Options
    I feel there is no valid reason for a door leading out of my daughters bedroom onto a roof.

Then how will your daughter sneak out for late night rendezvous with her boyfriend? <3>:)<3
    Corktown
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    Options
    MikeAmann said:
    I feel there is no valid reason for a door leading out of my daughters bedroom onto a roof. Then how will your daughter sneak out for late night rendezvous with her boyfriend? <3>:)<3
    My thoughts exactly.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,141
    Options
    some of that blue and purple is infiltration. Those are easier to seal leaks, compared to glass and low R doors.
    A blower door test is another 'telling" procedure.

Spray foam and caulk handles a lot of infiltration leaks, and upgrading weatherstrip.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49