Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

175000 Burnham steam boiler

Options
sixtog
sixtog Member Posts: 10
I'm having a problem i hope someone can help . Client boiler continue to lose the pilot light i change the thermal coupling and got a call back this time i changed the gas valve on the boiler and this morning client calls back & the pilot is out again...

Comments

• Shane_2
    Shane_2 Member Posts: 192
    Options
    Check the gas pressure at the boiler with the boiler on & off, and check again with any other gas appliances on.

Also check the flame on the pilot, adjust or clean the pilot orifice if needed.
    sixtog
  • sixtog
    Options
    Thank you so much 
  • sixtog
    Options
    I went to the job today and checked the gas pressure as you suggested and watched the boiler closely to see if the pilot would go out again. This time, i took my time. I noticed that there was more water than what I left in the glass and so i finally wanted to check to see if the boiler was leaking. There were some water stains in some areas around the burner and then i started hearing the water boiling in the boiler. I saw that the boiler was not building up pressure. At this point i determined that the boiler must be cracked at the top. So i filled it up with water and there it was! What i think was happening was that the condensation was building up on top of the jacket and when the boiler satisfied the thermostat, it would go off and eventually the condensation from the top of the boiler would drip down through the boiler, eventually shutting off the pilot. Not really clear! That's just my thoughts on how it happened. Even though the boiler was installed in 2006, the guy did a poor job on the header, so I'm not sure if they are going to honor the warranty. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,774
    Options
    @sixtog

Too bad 15 years isn't great. Sounds like you found the problem
  • sixtog
    Options
    This was what i found when I took the boiler apart
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,576
    Options
    That'll do it...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England