Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam boiler issues

Options
palmafas
palmafas Member Posts: 3
I have issues with my steam heating
water keeps coming out of the second floor radiator, like a lot of water.
I've had 3 pleople look at it and none have actually gotten in fixed.
please help :( 

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Lots of pictures of the radiator and the boiler and boiler piping. Stand about 8' away and post a bunch. We can't fix what we can't see.
    palmafas
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    There shouldn’t be that amount of water in that area, so in most cases the issue is elsewhere in the system, possibly even the basement.

As said, pictures will go a long way to us being able to assist you.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    palmafas
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Where are you located?
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    palmafas
  • palmafas
    palmafas Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello,

here is some pictures.
    I am located in huntington long island
    if anyone knows an steam heat expert that knows this trade very well and can get this done for me I'd appreciate it.
    my cell is 631-827-5202 text me anytime :)

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    that Ptrol is turned up way too high,
    dial it all the way down, till you feel a slight resistance,
    inside the cover, make sure the differential wheel is set to 1,
    you're looking for a cut in at 0.5, and cut out at 1.5

has the pigtail been checked for clean and clear, all the way back into the boiler?
    need to be able to blow back thru to the boiler

water looks filthy, you have a skim valve there, skim for, hour(s),
    then I would dump the rest and refill with clean(er) water,

boiler isn't piped well,
    the riser out of the boiler, that turns to copper, then ties back into old pipe behind,
    can you post a picture of that behind area, and any equaliser (drain) back down to the boiler return
    known to beat dead horses
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    I'm going to cry. But there are good steam folks on Long Island. Try "find a contractor".
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 270
    Options
    I am not sure the solution for excess water, but I saw a change between pics. Some pipes are now painted, and the draft hood looks different. Did Slant/fin spec that draft hood? It seems a little short off the boiler breaching. They have strict engineering on hoods. The wrong hood fails how the boiler is approved. Also the front access door has been modified and can affect over fire draft and the concrete blocks under the boiler can create draft problems unless they extend beyond the boiler base per the MFG. Also the wood post which has been over cut destroying its strength is too close to the boiler; not just for access but for fire safety. I am thinking the chimney breech was too low and what should be installed is a horizontal draft hood to allow the flue rise tall enough above the boiler breach to keep a good over-fire draft. If it can't meet code, it is a hazard waiting to fail. And this has nothing to do with the water problem. Auto feeders and bypass valves can leak by flooding a boiler. Returns can backup. Poor piping is always a concern as well as lack of pipe insulation on near boiler supply pipes.