Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam gods north of Boston, MA

I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to post, but I am looking to have a new steam boiler installed. My current boiler is a gas Burnham that is just over 10 years old with a hole in the top. The previous boiler was over 40 years old when it was replaced. I have learned a lot recently reading these forums and read The Lost Art Of Steam Heating. For example I learned I have no main vents which is bad. It's a two pipe vented system and look exactly like the picture on page 125 of LAOSH including the huge amount of return piping (on top of my basement floor) I'd love to have someone with real knowledge of steam look at my system, make any required changes and install a new boiler. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    @New England SteamWorks . I think there is another one in Boston too.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Depending on exactly where "north of Boston" is you might persuade @Charlie from wmass to go that far. Ryan -- @New England SteamWorks is actually in Providence, and I know he works in the Boston area and is certainly one of the best around, but I'm not sure he's any too keen on going "north of Boston"... worth a try, though.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • I-95 & I-495 North, no problem. I-93 North (Essex County) not happening.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    STEVEusaPAmattmia2kcopp
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Anywhere anytime, if I can fit it in my schedule. Talking February for any new projects. But happy to discuss. 
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    mattmia2
  • GlitchZ
    GlitchZ Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response New England Steamworks. Your work looks amazing! Unfortunately, I am in Haverhill way up 495 North and it will be quite a hike from Providence. I did fill out your web form, paperwork and send pics of everything this afternoon.
  • GlitchZ
    GlitchZ Member Posts: 3
    @Charlie from wmass thanks the the response.February is far off unless I can get my existing boiler to hobble along but I will call you on Monday or whenever is good for you to discuss.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    If it were mine i would...do it myself. but failing that, i would patch it up well enough to wait for one of the 2 above.