Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ProPress Steel for Steam

Options
Anyone have any thoughts or experience using Steel ProPress fittings on low pressure steam heating boilers? As a 4th generation steam boiler company, this goes against the grain. I would hate to get 2 or 3 hundred of these out and have them fail 5 years down the road.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,569
    Options
    Viega says propress & megapress are approved for low pressure steam. Who knows how long it will last?
    Derheatmeister
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I’ve seen pictures of others using MegaPress on steam risers and headers, but I don’t think I would. Pipe threads and steam seem like a perfect match to me. 
    Steve Minnich
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    Options
    Do they allow the joint to rotate as the pipe expands and contracts? Bet not.
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,707
    Options
    I bet threaded mains don't allow any rotation either. Has anyone ever disassembled a threaded header and found that it turned without the help of a cheater pipe or torch?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    edited December 2021
    Options

I bet threaded mains don't allow any rotation either. Has anyone ever disassembled a threaded header and found that it turned without the help of a cheater pipe or torch?

I do recall boiler leaks between sections due to welded headers. This seems similar. So something must be allowing some movement. You'd never notice a few hundredths of a degree in a header and the forces are enormous compared to a wrench.
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I’d take that bet and raise you. 
    Steve Minnich
    delcrossv
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,569
    Options
    A lot depends on the distance involved

Sure pipe out of one boiler tapping up and over and down to the second tapping. Keep the risers six inches long and you will have issue it can't move.

Now picture the same thing with 10' risers. Will they flex now? You bet your butt they will.

Even welded joints will flex if you give them enough room

It's short distances that cause issues, if the pipe can move it will regardless of the material used.
    delcrossv