Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain boiler won't start until I help it out

Options
mloula
mloula Member Posts: 2
edited December 2021 in Gas Heating
I see I accidently posted this in the wrong forum, should be in gas. So my Weil McLain boiler won't start until I tap on the switch box, then the damper opens and the boiler lights and starts heating my house like it should.

When I check the thermostat and it says heat on, I go check my boiler and I can hear a slight hum and I guess that tells me that the boiler knows that the house wants heat and should light up but it doesn't. For a while I could move the switch on the side of the boiler a little and it would start the cycle. After that "fix" stopped working I had to tap on the switch and it would start the cycle. I decided to change the switch today thinking that maybe something was just sticky in there or something, but alas, that didn't solve my problem. I've also had the damper replaced as my contractor suspected that to be the problem, but $$$ later and no go. They say everything else is fine, yet the problem remains. Could it be the thermostat transformer? Also, switching the damper to manual operation doesn't help either. I'm at a loss. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Loose or bad connection somewhere in there... turn the power off and check them all; it may not be obvious.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mloula
    mloula Member Posts: 2
    Options
    My contractor did that and said all is well. Kinda feeling like I'm on my own here. I can keep being the Fonz until I leave for a week in January I guess. I have 5 weeks to figure this out
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    @mloula

Shooting the parts cannon like your contractor did seldom works unless you get lucky.

Pictures will help

An electrical test meter and the wiring diagram for the boiler will help you find the problem if your comfortable with electricity.

We don't know what you have
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    What model boiler?
    What switch did you replace, the control module? 
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,293
    Options
    mloula said:

I see I accidently posted this in the wrong forum, should be in gas.

I've moved your post to that category. Welcome to Heating Help!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com