Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water in Weil Mclain ultra 80 burner

Options
octaveelectric
octaveelectric Member Posts: 3
edited December 2021 in Radiant Heating
Hi, i have a 15 year old series 1 Ultra 80. It ran at the start of the season, then i started getting E 02 error codes. Noticed a dark spot above ignitor in the burner during ignition. Took it all apart and found water in the burner. Dried it out and it runs until it gets wet. So i know what the problem is i just dont know why or how to stop it. After reading through many threads my theory is i have a cracked exchanger and steam is condensing in the burner after the temp is satisfied. If so, is it worth $$$ to replace the exchanger or do i just got with a Rinnai?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I guess if the boiler is in good shape $$$ is the cheap way out. A new boiler will be much more than that
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hi, i have a 15 year old series 1 Ultra 80. It ran at the start of the season, then i started getting E 02 error codes. Noticed a dark spot above ignitor in the burner during ignition. Took it all apart and found water in the burner. Dried it out and it runs until it gets wet. So i know what the problem is i just dont know why or how to stop it. After reading through many threads my theory is i have a cracked exchanger and steam is condensing in the burner after the temp is satisfied. If so, is it worth $$$ to replace the exchanger or do i just got with a Rinnai?

Pricing is not allowed.

At this point you don't know what's wrong, the better question is, is it worth $***.** to change a part that's not bad?

then if it turns out it is leaking you need to find out Why after only 15 years.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Why switch to Rinnai? A new Ultra 80 Series 4 would slip right in. 
  • octaveelectric
    Options
    I have read a lot of post that say the Weil Mclain aluminum exchangers have a lot of problems with cracking. Due heavily to the acidity and other elements in combustion gases. Rinnai's use a copper exchanger.
    That is the why, weil mclains crack. They had a recall on series 2 for that reason. They have modified the series 1 exchangers several times, i assume due to this issue. I have had to replace the cover because the aluminum is oxidizing.

But back to my original question, has anyone witnessed moisture in the burner? Is my theory sound? What else could cause tbis?

I have yet to find a local contractor who knows anything about this boiler.
    pecmsg
  • octaveelectric
    Options
    Well i fixed it, despite getting absolutely no helpfrom anyone on the site. I received nothing but criticism. Thanks for nothing.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I did not see this post until today.
    I would have asked if the drain trap was partially plugged.
    That would have water build up inside.

Hope that was checked before any drastic $$ steps were taken.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @JUGHNE

Don't know what that was about. I guess we are going to have an unhappy customer once in a while
    Rich_49