Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: The Radiator

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited December 2021 in THE MAIN WALL

The Radiator

Take the time to consider the beauty of simple things like the radiator. Everything ever made began with someone’s dream, and with their passion to create.

Listen and subscribe here.

Thank you to our sponsor SupplyHouse.com.
delcrossv

Comments

• BradHotNCold
    BradHotNCold Member Posts: 70
    Options
    I miss steam heat! But at least we still have radiant baseboard!
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    Options
    Sort of a bittersweet ending. Here's an alternate:
    Dad noticed the heat wasn't as even as it should be and went down the basement and replaced the old main vents, then he had the kids scrape and repaint the radiators and he put new vents on those. Their dog, like the dog before him, enjoyed the even heat for the rest of his days. :smile:
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
    PC7060
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2021
    Options
    delcrossv said:

Sort of a bittersweet ending. Here's an alternate:
    Dad noticed the heat wasn't as even as it should be and went down the basement and replaced the old main vents, then he had the kids scrape and repaint the radiators and he put new vents on those. Their dog, like the dog before him, enjoyed the even heat for the rest of his days. :smile:

That what we did, restored 14 original radiators and rescued 6 more for the addition! Converted gravity hot water system with MODCON running max temp of 120F SWT (thak you @hot_rod, @Ironman & @mattmia2) .

Mine are more functional looking than the beautiful Victorian ones but we love them just the same. As does the cat!
    delcrossvVoyager
  • cubbydog
    cubbydog Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Oh how I wish my repurposed radiators could talk!!
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    They will, but only if you listen hard. 😉
    Retired and loving it.
  • bill_brooks
    bill_brooks Member Posts: 50
    Options
    amazing, our benevolent government has never regulated radiators as a potential hazard!
  • coonmanx
    coonmanx Member Posts: 16
    Options
    I grew up in an old three story house that had radiators. They worked pretty well.
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2021
    Options
    At least some of the ornate radiators removed from US homes end up in Europe where they are highly prized. 

Companies such as Caravatti’s in Richmond recover the units from homes during renovations; the really nice ones are containerized and shipped to distributors for use in old home being renovated there. 

• SteamCrazy
    SteamCrazy Member Posts: 100
    Options
    I too have this love for my Radiators and the steam heat they provide, but at times I feel I'm the only one who does. I feel I have adopted them and they are now under my care. All thirteen of them. Luckily they are the beautiful Victorian style. Great story Dan.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • roncook
    roncook Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Great story but kinda sad. Love working on old steam systems. Started in 1985 after getting out of the army in Newport Ri with Newport Oil. They had all the contracts for the big mansions that are now museums so I gained alot of experience quickly. Now I'm in Rochester NY with Isaac Heating passing on my knowledge to the next generation. I feel fortunate to be with a company that gives me this opportunity. I do remember meeting you at a convention and you also came to our company and gave a great class on pumping away. Keep up the great work and I really enjoy your stories.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks, @roncook. That was a good trip to Rochester. What a great bunch of people! Thanks for the memory, and for passing on the knowledge.
    Retired and loving it.