Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Retrofit: New flooring - chance to change heat from panel to in-floor?

Options
skiereric
skiereric Member Posts: 66
edited December 2021 in Radiant Heating
My entryway flooring is dated and I am waiting to replace it with hardwood. The size of my entryway is approx 175 sqft w/ 10 ft ceilings.

It is currently being heated by a Stelrad model "K2 18 55" with pex supply and return

My house is heated by a single-zone manifold.

If I want to change the flooring and add in-floor radiant for this single room do I require a redesign/creation of a new zone?

I believe the water temp requirement for panel radiators differs from in-floor heating which makes me believe that I would require an additional zone for the in-floor area.

Any words of caution for heating a house with different flavours of hydronic heating?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    A load calc, room by room, needs to be step one
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49skiereric
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Well, the first thing that you need to do is a heat loss calculation to see if a radiant floor can provide enough heat. If you have an older house, the chances are it can’t. If that’s the case, you’ll need the existing radiation to supplement it.

A radiant floor will require a separate water temp zone and possibly a buffer tank to prevent short cycling of the boiler that a micro zone like that will create.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    skiereric