Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus GB142-60 need new condensate trap

Options
dgkula
dgkula Member Posts: 59
I woke up this morning and my GB142 wouldnt start with code 6A. I opened her up top to look at the ignitor which looks like it is degraded to the point of needing replacement. I also decided to open the bottom of the unit to check the output from the condensate trap - I have read that if this is blocked it can cause ignition issues.

Well the output from the condensate trap was plugged owing to a lack of maintenance on my part and as I was scraping off the white caked stuff I discovered that the aluminum condensate trap had corroded through and under the caked condensate I discovered a 1/4" diameter hole in the aluminum bottom of the plate near the condensate output. So even if I can get the boiler to fire I will have leaks out the bottom of the unit.

I went online to see if this part is available anywhere and it doesnt appear tobe - looks like the unit was discontinued in 2018.

Any thoughts? Would this GB142 Condensate trap part 67900521 be available anywhere or am i looking at a new boiler :( Thanks!

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Can you post some pics?

The trap is plastic but the block is aluminum so if there's a hole in the block, you've got some serious issues. 

• dgkula
    Options
    hole is in the block
  • dgkula
    Options

• dgkula
    Options
    I see the part available in the UK and UK ebay but cant find anything on the internet in the USA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272417307981
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
  • dgkula
    Options
    I have two of the spare condensate trap (plastic bottles) new in box. My problem is the entire aluminum condensate collector plate that captures the condensate and routes it to the trap bottle.

The good news is that the combustion chamber isnt under pressure so maybe we can solve the 6A ignition issue and the apply some sort of temporary seal (ie. duct tape) to the exterior of the aluminum plat so at least i wont have condensate leaking everywhere, I can heat my house, and can buy some time to find this part.
  • dgkula
    Options
    Here is a picture that more clearly shows the corrosion from the exterior. This boiler was installed new in 2009 and I have cleaned it every few years since buying the house in 2011. I cant believe that this type of issue isnt covered under manufacture warranty.

• dgkula
    Options
    Any thoughts on what type of material might make a good short-term "patch" that I could apply over that hole once we solve the ignition problem?
  • dgkula
    Options
    Of course the warranty only covers the heat exchanger ...

http://s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Buderus - GB142-60 - Warranty Info.pdf
  • dgkula
    Options
    Just found this thread related to aluminum, mod con boilers and corrosion. Wow so maybe this type of failure isnt a surprise ...

https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/125979/aluminum-hx-condensate-and-corrosion
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited December 2021
    Options
    RTV caulk after you’ve cleaned the area around it down to bare metal with a wire brush.
     You’re expectation of warranty coverage is unrealistic; IDK of any boiler manufacturer that covers a replaceable part for 12 years.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • dgkula
    Options
    Tech came and got us up and running - super nice & smart guy. He replaced the ignition components and used High Temp RTV caulk as a patch. He did mention that these boilers only last for 10 years or so and he already sees signs of a heat exchanger leak which will be fatal and require replacement at some point. Pic below. I'll start another thread as I'd like to get feedback on replacement. Thx!

• dgkula
    Options
    Tech also said he wouldnt replace the condensate plate given the signs of HX leak, rather patch with RTV caulk as needed and get a new boiler in the short term.
  • ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    Options
    who told you that heat exchanger isn't under pressure? that blower blower a fuel/air mixture into the burner and heat exchanger with enough ummph to blow the flue gasses out the house. I would never use RTV on a as a bandiad. IMHO anyone who does is a fool.

sorry, just sounds like bad juju
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Jb Weld would work as a temp repair.
  • dgkula
    Options
    Thanks - appreciate the feedback! Will get myself some JB Weld.