Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Valve

bobb12345
bobb12345 Member Posts: 15
I have a Crane Natural Gas Boiler No. 4-8 which  I've found is also called  a Sunny Day 8 Series , I need a Gas Valve for. It looks like it's a 24 volt but most of the identifying information on the Gas Valve itself has been worn away and illegible.

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,289
    Hi, If you have an independent appliance parts supplier in your area, I'd take a bunch of photos of the valve and any data, like operating voltage and pipe sizes, and see if they can help identify the valve and find you a replacement.

Yours, Larry
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited December 2021
    Why do you think you need a gas valve? Is it standing pilot?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Give me a picture and I will identify it for you.
  • bobb12345

• bobb12345
    Thank you 
  • bobb12345
    Why do you think you need a gas valve? Is it standing pilot?
    Because the gas supplying the boiler doesn't shutoff, after the thermostat calls for it to shutoff, the boiler had to be turned off by cutting the supply. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    @bobb12345

@Tim McElwain will probably need more information,

1. Is the boiler natural gas or propane
    2. pipe size into valve and out of valve
    3. BTU rating if you know

Mabe you can take a few pictures from a couple of steps away different angles
    mattmia2
  • bobb12345
    @bobb12345 @Tim McElwain will probably need more information, 1. Is the boiler natural gas or propane 2. pipe size into valve and out of valve 3. BTU rating if you know Mabe you can take a few pictures from a couple of steps away different angles
    This is what I have, it's a natural gas boiler 
  • bobb12345
    This is where the gas valve connects 
  • bobb12345
    Picture of gas valve area
  • bobb12345
    Not sure what size pipes they are, it uses this pump if that helps at all.
  • Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    Gross leakage from or onto gas piping. Lack of maintenance?
  • bobb12345
    Gilmorrie said:
    Gross leakage from or onto gas piping. Lack of maintenance?
    Definitely lack of maintenance, this boiler was on the house when I moved in...
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,632
    You need a good tech to replace that. it can be replaced with a modern combination valve by someone that knows what they are doing. It would replace the regulator and valve.
  • bobb12345
    mattmia2 said:
    You need a good tech to replace that. it can be replaced with a modern combination valve by someone that knows what they are doing. It would replace the regulator and valve.
    The guy who said it needs a new valve is like the only one I trust in the area. He said the supplier he uses knows what boiler this is but they don't have a replacement valve. I was hoping someone would know what valve goes with the boiler.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    @bobb12345

The boiler is old you probably can't get the exact replacement valve any more. But you can get a valve installed that will work
    bobb12345
  • bobb12345
    @bobb12345 The boiler is old you probably can't get the exact replacement valve any more. But you can get a valve installed that will work
    What will work?
  • mattmia2
    bobb12345 said:

mattmia2 said:

The guy who said it needs a new valve is like the only one I trust in the area. He said the supplier he uses knows what boiler this is but they don't have a replacement valve. I was hoping someone would know what valve goes with the boiler.

find out who they call when they're stumped. It isn't just parts swapping, you need someone that really understands how to set up a gas burner. You will replace the valve and regulator with a modern combination standing pilot valve, hook the thermocouple and pilot up to the new valve and check/adjust the pressure, combustion, and draft with the new valve.
  • mattmia2
    Is that water on the regulator or is the circulator above it and someone got a little overzealous with the oil?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    What is the voltage to that valve and does it have aa pilot which operates with a thermocouple?
  • bobb12345
    What is the voltage to that valve and does it have aa pilot which operates with a thermocouple?
    Looks like 24 V and yes it has a pilot and a thermocouple 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,829
    edited December 2021
    @bobb12345 I can't be sure but if I was at your home on a service call and your pilot end of the thermocouple looked like this and the other end looks like this
    Then I would have this valve on my service truck.
    and you would have heat tonight.

If you had a thermocouple that looked like this
    then i would have this valve on my truck
    and you would have heat tonight.

But you need someone who knows and understands how these things work to be sure the "Fits All" or actually "Fits Most" will be safe to operate and run it thru all the test parameters.

But I would go with @Tim McElwain recommendation since he has more experience with Gas. I'm an oil burner guy

Respectfully Submitted
    Mr. Ed

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    mattmia2Larry Weingartenbobb12345
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 904
    That was a common gas valve in my area in the 1950's and 1960's. That attachment on the left side of the valve is the safety pilot and could be replaced if you had one in stock. That valve can be replaced with a standard combination gas valve by a tech that knows his job well. There is nothing special about that gas valve except for the added pilot safety attachment.
  • bobb12345
    @bobb12345 I can't be sure but if I was at your home on a service call and your pilot end of the thermocouple looked like this and the other end looks like this Then I would have this valve on my service truck. and you would have heat tonight. If you had a thermocouple that looked like this then i would have this valve on my truck and you would have heat tonight. But you need someone who knows and understands how these things work to be sure the "Fits All" or actually "Fits Most" will be safe to operate and run it thru all the test parameters. But I would go with @Tim McElwain recommendation since he has more experience with Gas. I'm an oil burner guy Respectfully Submitted Mr. Ed
    Thank you, I have heat, the problem is the gas to the boiler doesn't shut off, the boiler will run and run and run providing me with too much heat
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    You are saying the fire will never shut off?
    Even if you shut off the power supply?
    How do you control the heat?

If so, you have a more serious problem then if you have no heat.
    If the flame got snuffed out for some reason the gas may continue to flow.

This is the simplest repair/replacement for a gas valve there could possibly be.

I have 2 or 3 of these replacements on hand and I am semi retired.

Also your name plate says natural gas, are you sure you do have NG?
    Some older units were converted to LP without any marking stating so.
    So if you have no LP tank then it must be NG. This is important BTW.

Also was the lower part of the boiler ever under water?
    The gas pipe fittings seem unusually rusted.
  • bobb12345
    JUGHNE said:
    You are saying the fire will never shut off? Even if you shut off the power supply? How do you control the heat? If so, you have a more serious problem then if you have no heat. If the flame got snuffed out for some reason the gas may continue to flow. This is the simplest repair/replacement for a gas valve there could possibly be. I have 2 or 3 of these replacements on hand and I am semi retired. Also your name plate says natural gas, are you sure you do have NG? Some older units were converted to LP without any marking stating so. So if you have no LP tank then it must be NG. This is important BTW. Also was the lower part of the boiler ever under water? The gas pipe fittings seem unusually rusted.
    The basement wall next to the furnace is wet during the rainy season which is when it's above freezing here which may be the reason why there is alot of rust and that the furnace is over 30 yrs old. 

Yes I most definitely have natural gas, the heat is off right now, because it won't stop running the gas won't stop flowing and will overheat and blowup
  • JUGHNE
    I understand then, you shut off the gas to boiler.
    Some people would not, believe it or not.

Simple replacement with basic parts, IMO.

If ever new install insist on at least 4" blocks under new boiler.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,829
    bobb12345 said:

Thank you, I have heat, the problem is the gas to the boiler doesn't shut off, the boiler will run and run and run providing me with too much heat

You don't have heat. You have a boiler that has a flame inside and you have to manually turn it ON and OFF. If you leave the house you can't leave it ON. So you have no heat!

What I'm saying is that a good gas heat man (from the Gas Company or private contractor) would have this fixed in short order.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • bobb12345
    Were you able to identify it?
  • JUGHNE
    16 days from your first posting and still no repair?
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    JUGHNE said:

16 days from your first posting and still no repair?

or news report...yet.