Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fan on/circulate function

Options
I replaced my thermostat with a Honeywell thermostat. All is well but we are in the time of year that I want my fan to circulate occasionally or be on. Those functions are not working. Any ideas? I’m sure it is a wiring issue. 

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    edited December 2021
    Options
    If the fan works on Heating & Cooling normal operation and does not come on when you just want to run fan only the problem is in the thermostat itself. If the fan doesn't work at all check and see if the green wire is secured to terminal G green is usually the fan wire unless someone miswired it

I would look in the thermostat owners manual for any tips to turn the fan on. Or post the model # of the thermostat
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    Options
    Did you take a picture of the wiring on the old thermostat? It appear that you have a Heat Pump but I'm not sure you have the O/B wire in the correct spot. That is reserved for the reversing valve and most professional HVAC installers use the orange wire for that purpose.

The White wire is usually dedicated to W2 by most professionals. That said, electricity is colorblind and the original wires may be using different colors. If you did not take a picture of the old wiring from the previous thermostat, then you will need to find the wiring diagram for the indoor and outdoor units and compare them to what you have. That can get quite confusing for some people. It took me years to be fully comfortable with heat pump thermostat wiring. (I was raised in an oil company environment)

to help we will need model number of both the air handler and the outdoor unit

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,628
    Options
    The thermostat base is damaged, you will have trouble removing the wires from it. The little plastic knobs that are broken off are the wire-release buttons.

Take a jumper of some type and jump from the R or RC terminal to the G terminal. If the fan comes on, the problem is in the thermostat. If not, it's in the wiring or furnace itself.

realliveplumber
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @ratio,

thought that looked funny, probably a loose wire then