Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No Heat, Jumper Cable Came Loose

Options
RyanNYC
RyanNYC Member Posts: 9
Good Afternoon,

I have a Slant Fin Galaxy GXH Steam Boiler. When installed there was a jumper cable put in I believe to bypass the vent damper. The jumper cable came loose and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to jumper this to get the heat back.

The 4 wires in the harness are yellow, purple, red and blue.

Yellow is going to 'R' terminal on the transformer
Purple is going to 'C' terminal on the transformer
Red is going to the roll out switch
Blue is going to the thermostat.

There was jumper in place between two of these wires and it falling out I have no idea which way the jumper needs to be arranged.

I appreciate the help in advance, thank you

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    Why was a Safety bypassed?

• RyanNYC
    Options
    The damper was never installed 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,835
    edited November 2021
    Options
    If you have the 4 pin plug you jumper 2 & 3 Here is the wiring diagram of the plug however I do not know if this is looking at the male or female end. So if you jumper 1 & 4 you will have a dead short and then you will let all the smoke out of the transformer. So I would use a fused jumper using an automotive 3 amp fuse and some spade connectors.

In your case it appears that your Red and Blue are the ones that would be connected to 2 and 3 ...but electric is colorblind and things may be different. So, use a fused jumper so you don't need to buy a new transformer.

pecmsg said:

Why was a Safety bypassed?

I don't look at this jumper as bypassing a safety switch if there is no damper, there is no "closed damper" that needs a safety switch.

Here is a discussion on vent dampers from January of this year several diagrams all indicate the 2 and 3 posts on the 4 pin connector are the safety switch for when the damper is closed and the flame should no operate. https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/182805/ruh-roh-boiler-wont-fire-w-new-auto-vent-damper-on-auto https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/182805/ruh-roh-boiler-wont-fire-w-new-auto-vent-damper-on-auto
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,640
    Options
    It would be red and blue if they go to other safeties(the rollout switch and the t-stat). The switch on the damper would be in series with the other safeties.
  • RyanNYC
    Options
    Thank you guys so much. I have re-attached the jumper and Heat Is ON!
    bucksnortmattmia2MikeAmannEdTheHeaterMan
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 997
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Nice idea with the fuse in the jumper ED.
    .....let all the smoke out of the transformer. LOL
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,835
    edited November 2021
    Options
    MikeAmann said:

Nice idea with the fuse in the jumper ED.
    .....let all the smoke out of the transformer. LOL

Mike, you may want to get one of these.

I was tired of burning up fuses while trying to find short circuits on control wiring. This works great with alligator clip ends on the wire. I had a 3 amp and a 5 amp floating around my "electric" tool box. The box full of meters and jumper wires and and my ECM motor tester. in the lifetime of fuses I burn out diagnosing control wiring, I could have purchased 20 of those circuit breakers. (maybe more like 100 if you count the transformers I smoked before I started using fuses)
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    kcoppMikeAmann
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,640
    Options
    You could use a light bulb as a thermistor to limit current as well.