Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New oil fired steam boiler questions

Options
Greetings one and all,

Last year, with a lot of help from you people, I had a new boiler installed. Now I have a number of questions that may help me to prolong its life and keep it running efficiently.

First of all, it is a MegaSteam MST 288. It has a Beckett AF/AFG oil burner, a Cycleguard CG -450-1560 low water cut off, and a VXT - 120. As you probably know from the equipment, I'm running an oil-fired steam boiler system.

Question # 1. In one of the manuals, it advised that the boiler be allowed to cool before a technician began to service it. In an open cellar that is approximately 55 - 70 degrees, how long would it take to sufficiently cool the boiler?

Question #2. On the top of the Cycleguard LWCO, I noticed a small green light. I think I noticed that it went off shortly after the boiler had shut down. What does that green light signify and how should it be operating?

Thanks for all help past and present.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

George

P.S. By the way, because of knowledge I gained through this site, I ended up with a smaller boiler than others were recommending and it made it through its first winter quite well.

Comments

• New England SteamWorks
    Options
    1. I think your technician will be able to service at any temp, no worries.
    2. The green light means it is in "Psycho-Mode" and has temporarily shut the boiler down to check for low water. The light is green to signify that, although the boiler is off, all is normal.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    ethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    And that light may go on every 15 minutes for 60 seconds (hence “1560” in the model number) whether the boiler is running or not (depending on wiring). It’s fine.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el