Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is the basic flow through cast iron baseboards?

eclecticmn Member Posts: 121
edited November 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
This question is so basic I cannot find an answer. I am thinking of Burnham Baserays and Weil McLain. There is a top pipe and a bottom pipe. I was thinking that the hot water flowed into the bottom at one end, flowed to the other end, then looped up to the top pipe and returned to the supply end.

BUT I read that only the bottom pipe is used and the top pipe is only used to install a bleeder valve and is plugged at the other end. So the supply is at one end and the return at the other.
Home owner near Minneapolis with cast iron radiators, one non working slant fin now ripped out, and hot water heat.


  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,353
    That’s correct, but the sections connect with push nipples at both the top and bottom.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.