Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

my new shop radiant, so far

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,207
I'm skipping the glycol and running constant circulation on the slab loops. The thermostat basically opens the 3 way ZV to the boiler. With a small Alpha I could use a hefty computer back up for power outages. I also have a generator.

I'm using some Pyrex piping to observe air and dirt for demo and teaching.

The Caleffi 106 is a 3 way valve, installed on the Sep 4. A control with an outdoor sensor diverts from A2WHP to boiler when outdoor temperature drops the heat pump COP.
A dual version can divert directly from HP or a buffer tank.

Although I don't have a HP yet. If anyone has a spare 3 ton, send it my way :)
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
JakeCKPC7060

Comments

• JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    I would love to have a a2whp heating a buffer tank and just use my gas boiler for the really cold days... 

Keep the updates coming on how well it works.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    A friend just paid $4.80 for LP in upstate NY, on his "automatic fill" program. So 61 bucks /MMbtu to run his old 85% FA system.

With his KWH cost at .13 his new A2WHP running at 2.6 cop will cost around 15 bucks/ MMbtu.

Yes his distribution system is designed for low temperature SWT, that is the key to 2.6 COP.

It will be interesting to see where fossil fuel costs end up this season.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    JakeCKPC7060
  • JakeCK
    Options
    Pair that with solar pv and... lol giant middle finger to the PUCO's
  • hot_rod
    Options
    JakeCK said:
    Pair that with solar pv and... lol giant middle finger to the PUCO's
    Yep, I have 6 kw so far
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    JakeCK
  • JakeCK
    Options
    I went all out and maxed out what I could conceivably do with the roof space I have on a city lot. 14kw DC, 42 panels between the front slope of the house, and both sides of the garage. Enphase micro-inverters. Also upgraded the service from 100amp to 200amp to allow for the conversion of gas appliances to electric over time. I was considering going to 400 amp but decided against it. I have a feeling at some point in the not to distant future when we are all driving EV's I might regret that decision.

My goal is making this 92 year old house net zero, if possible. Maybe by the time it's 100.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    I went with a SMA Sunny Boy inverter
    In a power outage it has 2000 W available. If the sun is shining of course.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Most grid-tied inverters will not run unless they have grid power to synch up with. Did you find a workaround?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Zman said:
    Most grid-tied inverters will not run unless they have grid power to synch up with. Did you find a workaround?

here is how it works, the installation company adds a receptacle right at the inverter, SMA approved hack. One other mod would be to run that receptacle inside to be a little more convenient. Although it may never get used, power is fairly stable the locals tell me, although rolling brownouts have been discussed. The power utility is pushing battery storage systems. The catch being they can pull from the homeowners batteries if needed. https://www.thesolarnerd.com/blog/sma-sunnyboy-inverters/
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Zman