Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

smell from steam radiators

Options
homeownersteam
homeownersteam Member Posts: 3
edited November 2021 in Recall Announcements
I had new Weil Mclain steam boiler installed a month go, i flushed 3 times and skimmed it 4 times and still get a strong smell from radiator vents, smell is in boiler when skim cap plug removed, plumber used existing pipe. Old weil mclain i had for 35 years with no smell , i am wondering if the cast iron making process was changed

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    No, cast iron is still cast iron. And it's still loaded with oils when it's cast. Flushing won't help at all. Skimming, however, will -- but may take hours and hours.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Find out how much water you boiler holds to the normal water level. Put in 1 pound of TSP/50 gallons of boiler water.

So if the boiler holds 10 gallons of water you put 16 ounces/50=.32ounces/gallon

.32 x 10=3.2 ounces for this example.

Mix the tsp in a pail and pour it in through the safety valve tapping or skim tapping with an elbow turned up.

Run the boiler until hot and shut it off when the header starts to steam. Leave the burner off

Skim very slow, the stream should be the size of a pencil or less. Add water as needed.

You may need to skim several hours

When finished drain boiler, let it cool refill and drain, refill and drain again then refill and bring to a boil
  • homeownersteam
    homeownersteam Member Posts: 3
    Options
    thanks for input