Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Runtal Radiators

Options
I think this will be my last Runtal job. It just wears me out.

These were taken at the end of the day today. The contractor will come after me to spackle and paint.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
mattmia2

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Which part wears you out? The rough in assuring everything lines up, keeping stubs in place through the other trades. That seemed to be my peeve.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    delta T
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    It was my first time using FostaPEX; that was kind of fun.

Roughing in the stub outs had to be on the money with the connections at opposite ends. I don't recommend doing it without the radiators and valves there to confirm the measurements. And then they changed the baseboard height and the stub outs had to be done all over again.

It's getting up and down off the floor that's hard. Over and over again wears me out. Perhaps I'll feel better about it in the morning.

Now that it's all done and the owners are happy is a big plus.

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,667
    Options
    They are heavy and awkward. i think there are accessories that would help with your rough in so it didn't have to be dead on, it could be covered.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    I feel your pain. Runtals take much more time and effort than a #22 wall panel radiator. Some clients prefer their look and are willing to pay the difference. I use a rigid hanger to keep the stub outs secure, and that has avoided SR damage to rough-in. I also prefer the Oventrop TRV's, which are more compact.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,005
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I also prefer the Oventrop TRV's, which are more compact.
    I like them as well, but for some reason, they've been difficult to find.

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Ahh the UF Series Rads...Bomb proof Rads.
    Yes these Rads can wear you down!
    In Germany we had to pipe these using black Steel pipe that had to be filled with sand first then heated to be Cherry red with the Oxy torch and bend
    The walls were also solid Concrete so the Hilti hammer drill was our best friend.
    Also teflon was not used back then so hemp was the way we made our connections.
    Great job..
    mattmia2PC7060
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Runtal rough in is a pain. We usually block them out a 1/2 + so the male adapters can actually protrude out the rock and we actually can back them up. Not my fave.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,667
    Options

Ahh the UF Series Rads...Bomb proof Rads.
    Yes these Rads can wear you down!
    In Germany we had to pipe these using black Steel pipe that had to be filled with sand first then heated to be Cherry red with the Oxy torch and bend
    The walls were also solid Concrete so the Hilti hammer drill was our best friend.
    Also teflon was not used back then so hemp was the way we made our connections.
    Great job..

Oh. I've seen the bent pipe in Germany. I assumed it was thinner wall and bent with tools similar to electrical conduit.
  • Derheatmeister
    edited November 2021
    Options
    "mattmia2 ....Oh. I've seen the bent pipe in Germany. I assumed it was thinner wall and bent with tools similar to electrical conduit."

We used regular Black steel pipe such as you would use for gas piping..
    We filled it with sand so that it would not collaps, then we marked the location of the bend with soap stone,heated the marked area until it was cherry red and bend the pipe..
    Tees/Branch off where also hand made.
    Over here they call this Pipe fitter.
    The company i worked for (Haushalter) had approx 90 employees and did residental/and Large commercial jobs in and around Bad Homburg vdh /Frankfurt area.
    In the 1980 ties we Started pressing black pipe using the Mannesman press system which cut the labor in half.

PC7060
    Options
    @Derheatmeister I'm impressed. That work sounds impossible, but if you do it long enough, I suppose you learn all the tricks. Sehr schön gemacht!

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,260
    Options

@Derheatmeister I'm impressed. That work sounds impossible, but if you do it long enough, I suppose you learn all the tricks. Sehr schön gemacht!

Why do we use thick wall steel for low pressure? Soft copper sounds easier. Or at least thin wall tubing.

• Derheatmeister
    Options

"So arbeiten wir aber heute nicht mehr"..I do not work like that nowadays anymore..
    My Chiropractor tells me not to obuse myself and i am currently spending some serious time on a machine that decompresses my lower back..
    I am also switching gears to my profession which is importing European heating components such as Sacrificial Anodes,Deionizers, Dissolved Oxygen sensors and Scale Transformers.
    Das ist wunderbar..