Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat (seems) calling for heat, pilot light on, I hear water, it isn't boiling.. thoughts?

Options
sky8899
sky8899 Member Posts: 5
edited November 2021 in Gas Heating
I'm currently waiting on a plumber for the next week or so. It's the first time I've turned the system on this year. It's a Natural gas system, single zone with a mechanical thermostat.

- I have visually confirmed that the pilot is on.
- I changed the thermostat and cranked it up to 85 and I hear the click
- Boiler doesn't seem to be kicking on.
- Wiring seems to be okay

Anything I should check in the mean time while waiting on the plumber?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    You have a nice simple system -- it appears that about all there is is a thermostat, a boiler, and a circulating pump. If that is so, it would be helpful to know if the thermostat controls the boiler directly, or if it turns on the circulating pump -- or both.

Do you hear a click at the thermostat, or down near the boiler when someone else turns up the thermostat?

Does anything happen at all near the boiler -- pump turns on, for instance -- when you turn up the thermostat?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Need picture of other side of the boiler and one of front of boiler with door off.
    Back up to show more.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    There has to be a relay somewhere
  • sky8899
    Options
    I haven’t checked if there is a click at the boiler end. I can check then. Here is a picture with the door off.

• sky8899
    Options

• sky8899
    Options
    I don’t have a picture of the other side . I will take one later tonight.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    If you have only red and white at the tstat, jumper those together....only those two.
    See what happens.

Show a picture of the old tstat, front with cover off and back.
    Also the other side of the boiler.
  • sky8899
    Options
    The old thermostat is exactly the same. I just changed the cover, I didn't bother taking off the wires to replace. Will try to get a picture of the other side of the boiler later.