Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HELP! I NEED SOMEBODY!

Options
Guys… having a real pain in the **** time with this guy’s gravity fed system (NG boiler), he renovated and our company added a new radiator(small in size) to the 2nd floor addition, we relocated another(large in size) from one spot on the 2nd floor to another on the same floor, and we relocated a radiator(large in size) on the first floor about 5 feet. 3 radiators. 2 big, 1 small. 2 different floors. One gets hot(1f), one gets warm up to the valve and bottom 1/3 of radiator(2f large), one gets absolutely nothing(2faddition. I know this system is screwed, used to be steam, but this customer won’t let up and wants a solution yesterday. Really need help here.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Is it still gravity?
    Gravity system's are pretty picky and any change of piping ESPECIALLY a reduction in pipe size will give you issues.
    I am thinking you will need to convert it to a pumped system now.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Is this the same job posted here about a week ago?
  • PlumbBob2075
    PlumbBob2075 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    kcopp said:
    Is it still gravity? Gravity system's are pretty picky and any change of piping ESPECIALLY a reduction in pipe size will give you issues. I am thinking you will need to convert it to a pumped system now.

Yes it’s still gravity in the remaining radiators, that was the hope for the 2 new ones as well. Should I tie the 2 2” supplies together and the 2 returns together and cap the leftover supply and return taps?
  • PlumbBob2075
    Options
    Is this the same job posted here about a week ago?
    Yeah it’s my job, we thought we solved it by separating the riser supplies from eachother and the returns as well. Worked since Thursday and then homeowner texted me this morning at 6:30am saying we jumped the gun on calling it “operational”
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    It’s never gonna work as a gravity system with that pex the way it’s run.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I like RIBs also, but sometimes a switching relay does make more sense. The RIBs need a box to mount to.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Here is the easiest way to solve the problems.

1. Add a circulator, probably the Taco 110 three piece pump or a Taco 0010 wet rotor pump.
    2. Connect both returns with full size piping with a tee (at least 1-1/4" iron or 1-1/2" copper.
    3. Cap off the unused return.
    4. Wire the thermostat to a Taco SR501 relay T T terminals
    5. Wire the burner circuit (where the thermostat used to go) to 5 and 6NO terminals on the SR501
    6. Wire the circulator to 4NO and N (where N is the White wire)
    7. Wire Hot to H and 3 (where hot is the Black wire)

This is how we did a circulator add-on back in the 1950s and 60s (way back when Help! I need Somebody was recorded by the Beatles)

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PC7060
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,672
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I'm usually all for keeping a functioning old boiler, but that is just too old and too much of a change. you can make it work but that money would be better spent on a new boiler.

EDIT:
    Just looked at your other post. i thought that snowman above was your boiler. You have a modern weil mcclain. That should convert to forced circulation nicely. Will need balancing valves to force the flow through the new pex, if you don't make it its own zone, at least bring it back to the boiler separately before the balancing valves for the former gravity loops.

Side note. somewhere you say something about a steam conversion. i think that system was always gravity hot water.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    Options
    A Taco 007F may work for you but be prepared to use a more powerful pump just in case.

I am familiar with Taco model numbers, but you can use Honeywell RA-845 relay or other brand, and another brand pump of equal capacity and performance. I'm just sure that what I specified will work in your situation even if it is a little overkill. The balancing valves may not be needed but are good to have just in case. Also add a ball valve below the pump so you can swap out the pump without draining the entire system.

I hope this helps.

Yours truly,
    Mr. Ed

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PC7060
  • PlumbBob2075
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    I'm usually all for keeping a functioning old boiler, but that is just too old and too much of a change. you can make it work but that money would be better spent on a new boiler. EDIT: Just looked at your other post. i thought that snowman above was your boiler. You have a modern weil mcclain. That should convert to forced circulation nicely. Will need balancing valves to force the flow through the new pex, if you don't make it its own zone, at least bring it back to the boiler separately before the balancing valves for the former gravity loops. Side note. somewhere you say something about a steam conversion. i think that system was always gravity hot water.
    Homeowner claims it was steam, but also says this current system is what it was when they purchased home