Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hope I didn't get the worser model Honeywell?

Options
Judy_Smith
Judy_Smith Member Posts: 14
I just bought Honeywell Focuspro 5000 TH5220D1029 (AA batteries)

I hope its not inferior to the Focuspro 5000 TH5110D1022 (AAA batteries).

There's also TH5220D1003, and probably more. I got confused because they're all Focuspro 5000, I think.

I wonder why they keep coming out with different model-numbers to confuse people, unless they're actually made with inferior components?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    They are usually different features like control heat only, capable of controlling heating and cooling, capable of controlling a heat pump, etc. The Focuspro 5000 is the marketing for the homeowners and the individual model numbers are so the installer can pick the right one for a particular system(most of them will work with your heat only system, the main risk is paying more for features you don't need)
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    They -- and many other companies -- come up with different model numbers (or names) for a simple reason: the device has some subtle -- or sometimes not so subtle -- difference. In the instance you cite, the two devices are really quite different -- so it would be very misleading if they had the same base model number (THS220D vs. THS110D).

Has nothing to do with inferior components -- indeed, I expect that the actual thermostat circuitry is very much the same in the two, if not identical. But the capabilities, power supply, size of the unit, etc. etc. are all different. Not better, not worse, just different.

Focus Pro 5000 is a series of thermostats with a variety of power supplies, device sizes, display screens, and capabilities.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Judy_Smith
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Sorry for my belated response, but the thermostat just arrived the other day (Ebay, not-new, but including expired batteries plus one-yr. square trade).

Today the handyman installed it, and as of now, the heat seems to be working. Apparently, the seller had in error advertised AA-batteries, even while his pic. showed Rayovac AAA-batteries which have an exp. date 2018. I didn't think to check the battery compartment pic. prior to purchase, but they're functional, despite the 2018 exp.

Now i'll have to shop for AAA's, in case these go dead, so my questions are:

(1) If the AAA's die, will the heat stop working (or just the display)?
    (2) I assume from a YT video that the display resets by itself upon new battery insertion?
    (3) Which batteries do you use?
    (4) How often do thermostat batteries need changing? (I mean, with the Honeywell clunker i've used till now, as mentioned in my other post, I never even used batteries).
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    1 -- yes. If the batteries die, so does the thermostat
    2 -- optimist. I've never gotten that to work.
    3 -- usually Ray-O-Vac off the grocery store rack
    4 -- twice a year, with the fire alarms
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Judy_Smith
    Options
    Re: item #1, so in that case my old clunker was better since it operated without batteries all these years.
    Item #2, so if the display goes dead, it's either learning curve, or no heat? That's scary.
    Item #4, how about lithiums?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    The screen will show "low batteries" if you forget. 
    The thermostat will retain its memory as long as you replace the batteries within a minute or two of removing the old ones.
    Change the batteries now.
    Judy_Smith
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Put batteries in it. I use Amazon batteries, it's not picky.
    If it tells you to change them, change them.

It's the same as any tv remote control, smoke detector etc.

I have 4 Honeywell 5000's with the large display at our shop and they work fine.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Judy_Smith
    Options
    Thanks, hopefully i'll cross the bridge when i reach it.