Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crown Bali Yes or No

Options
Had a customer request a quote for replacement of a 1987 Burnham PXG-2004A boiler. The customer has had to get the circuit board repaired on it again. I checked with Burnham and there are no replacement parts any longer. This is a new customer, so I have no previous history on the unit other than what I was told.

My initial thought was a wall hung boiler condensing boiler, but the customer wants to keep it as low tech as possible. They also would prefer a cast iron heat exchanger. The system is all copper fin baseboard and filled with glycol. It's a side wall vent application. 

The Crown Velocity Bali seems to hit the check boxes on paper for the install. Anyone have any experience with this model or can suggest another product. We usually install Slant Fin, but in this case it doesn't look like it's the best option with the Victory line. 
Here is a pic of what what we are dealing with. 

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    A cast iron HX would probably have a longer life expectancy, but the new ones have just about as much electronics as a mod/con, especially is you go with a power vented one.

A mod/con, with the ODR curve properly set, would still be about 15-20% more efficient on fuel than a cast iron- even with fin tube BBS.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • offdutytech
    offdutytech Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Agreed they are looking for life cycle as well. Just looking at the options and the Bali seemed check the boxes. I have not run across one 
  • Ironman
    Options
    It’s just the flip side of Burnham.
    Bob Boan
  • Ironman
    Options
    What’s heating the domestic now?
    Bob Boan
  • offdutytech
    offdutytech Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Power Vented stand-alone tank for DHW
  • Ironman
    Options
    If that’s got some age on it, I’d look at going with a mod/con and indirect. You could probably fit both in that closet.
    Bob Boan