Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

flue gas condensation in boiler sections

Options
santo
santo Member Posts: 2
Weil McLain GV 90+4 gas fired boiler showing signs of metal flakes in condensate p trap off of the recuperator. Factory mounted boiler controls have return water sensor set at 140F that will trigger the bypass circulator if water temp goes below that setting and will resume system circ as soon as temp goes above 140. If those metal flakes are the result of flue gas condensation ( condensation occurs around 130F ) I don't understand how that can happen with the control protections built into the system. What am I missing?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Have you verified that the sensor is reading accurately and that the bypass is turning on?
    The condensation temp will vary a bit based on a few factors. Has a combustion analysis been performed? A boiler with poor combustion will have a higher or lower condensation point. The analyzer will also tell you the flue gas temp.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    @santo

Is this a new install or has it been running a while?
  • santo
    santo Member Posts: 2
    Options
    this is a new install. combustion check was performed and all seemed ok. I take that to mean that combustion temp was ok as well. return water sensor if ok
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    @santo

If this is a new install I doubt any boiler deterioration. Maybe it was just a little debris form when the boiler was manufactured
    Zman