Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant boiler start

I recently moved into a new house that has radiant floor heat and I’m trying to figure out how to start the boiler. I opened it up and the pilot light appears to be out. It also looks like the gas and hot water line running from the hot water heater are turned off. I have reached out to a local service provider but they can’t come out for over a month. If someone has any Insight as to how to get it running it would be much appreciated. I’ve also added pictures for any questions. It’s a Bryant boiler 

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 909
    The gas supply to the boiler is turned off. The gas cock is on the vertical black pipe to the right of the boiler access door. Open the gas cock (align its handle parallel with the pipe; you may need a wrench); then make sure the boiler has power (check circuit breaker/fuse and any shutoff switches). Pilot lighting instructions should be posted inside the access door. Perhaps just above the boiler’s rating plate, the photo is not clear.

Bburd
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    That’s a very old boiler and it may have issues. That could be why the gas is turned off.

Call the gas company or another service company and have them check it out.

DON’T use that boiler until the gas train and venting have been tested for safety. You could end up poisoning yourself or your family.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    delta TRich_49
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 909
    edited October 2021
    On a second look I have to agree with @Ironman. There are signs of flame rollout above the burner opening. Also it appears the unit may have two gas trains, which doesn’t make much sense. The boiler or its exhaust venting may be in dangerous condition and should be checked for safety by a professional.

I hope you have a reliable carbon monoxide detector in the house.

Bburd