Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Very old

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
From a Facebook group, what is this

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 909
    edited October 2021
    That is a sidearm water heater. Basically a shell and coil heat exchanger.  It was used to heat a separate domestic hot water storage tank from hot water in a water or steam boiler. Flow was by gravity.

Those were an intermediate stage between solid fuel kitchen range hot water coils and today’s indirect water heaters.

Bburd
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @Snowmelt

They used to refer to those as "tank heaters". It's like a tankless coil only if you used a storage tank an a tank heater the tank heater needed less capacity than a tankless heater because the storage tank gave you storage capacity.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,953
    If I am not mistaken, that was the first Taco product. Taco is short for Thermal Appliance COmpany.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720

If I am not mistaken, that was the first Taco product. Taco is short for Thermal Appliance COmpany.

And I thought it was a mexican food restaurant.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    mattmia2
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Where are the domestic taps, in the back?
    mattmia2
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    30 gallons was probably considered high luxury back then
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    that's one of Taco's first DHW tankless heaters. I'm sorry I don't have much information on it. I sent a photo to Johnny White so he can share his thoughts on it too. I learn so much from him on the history of taco 101 years. I just celebrated 20 of those and that heater is older than me:)
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    ZmanErin Holohan HaskellLarry Weingarten
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    edited October 2021
    Hi Snowmelt
    I was at Taco today and had an opportunity to talk to Johnny about the Heater, and Johnny recognized it immeadiatly as the 2B. We have a 2A heater at taco which I asked Johnny if he would hold it up for a quick photo. He's such a cool guy!!
    I also aattached some literature. This was a fun one, and if you have any questions let me know
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    kcoppmattmia2PC7060Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    Thanks guys
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Like I thought . They call it a tankless heater. We used to call them tank heaters when they were used to heat a DHW storage tank like shown in the LIT
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    But were they originally green or is that some later rebranding?
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    That’s cool. The unit is larger than I thought. Initially though it was around 12” long and wondered how they would get 30 gallon rating out of it!