Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A little guidance

Options
Spag74
Spag74 Member Posts: 16
I’m installing a steam boiler with 2” risers coming out of block and plan to put in a 3” drop header. 
1-Is there a minimum requirement that the nipples need to be going into drop header?
2-On the return side I like to use a full size tee on the run with a drain then use another tee to dump into the Hartford Loop on the bull side
is it best to come out of the first tee rise with a close, shoulder nipple or bigger nipple?
I hope the 2nd question wasn’t confusing 

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    On the first question: are you referring to the vertical drop nipples? The answer would be no, but the header should be 24” above the water line.

Im sorry, but I don’t understand your second question.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    As @Ironman said the risers coming out of the boiler where they turn to head to the drop header that elbow needs to be 24" above the normal water line....longer is better. The nipples going horizontal to the drop header can be any length. Turn down to the drop header can be any length but the header must be above the water line. I wouldn't drop below the top of the boiler jacket with the header if it was me.

As far as your second question below the water line you can basically pipe any way you want as long as it is the right pipe size. It is critical to get the hartford loop the right height...usually 2-4" below the NWL but check the install manual.

Make sure on your drop header that you feed it correctly. Going with the direction of steam flow first are the boiler risers then the system take off(s) then the equalizer dropping down to the hartford loop.

The elbow at the end dropping to the hartford must be full size of the header x the equalizer pipe size

This elbow should look straight down (on a 45 is ok) but don't put it horizontal

Should all be in the boiler manual

Good of you to ask.......we get too many "after the fact" horror stories
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 912
    edited October 2021
    Options
    The Hartford loop connection to the equalizer should be a close nipple to prevent water hammer.

Bburd