Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco 334-T3 vs watts 1/2" 1450F Pressure Regulator & Relief Combo

BigMak
BigMak Member Posts: 44
Taco 334-T3 vs watts 1/2" 1450F Pressure Regulator & Relief Combo

any difference between the two? pros/cons?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    IDK about the differences, however sometimes there is a water stop on each side of the pressure regulator so it can be serviced without draining the system.

That opens the possibility of isolating the safety relief valve from the system.
    Easy for anyone to do.

IMO, a relief valve on the boiler is the fail safe way....no valves...no isolation. FWIW
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Nothing wrong with 2 safety's.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I looked at the B&G combo, the relief valve is listed as "non code" and I&O states you need an ASME relief on the boiler anyway.

Is there an issue using the fast fill feature with a relief valve right after?
  • BigMak
    BigMak Member Posts: 44
    no, i'm replacing a 30 yr old unit that had massive calcium build up. it was the Watts unit. I replaced with taco's it was a $100 cheaper, and i wanted to know why?
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    Hi BigMak
    they're pretty much the same as a dual pressure fill, and relief valve. there is an internal check for servicing and preventing system water to back up into your waterline in the event of a low-pressure situation. this can happen if the city water supply has a main break and puts you under vacuum. the combo feature enables you to buy both items at a lower cost than two; that makes sense.
    Also, I have one on my system, and I keep the feed feature off, so I can monitor my system for leaks. fresh oxygen water added regularly because of a breech in the system can be detrimental to all ferrous components. in addition to not having a constant flow of city water pressure filling your basement if you have a break in your system piping. Good practice
    If the pressure relief valve keeps spitting, or you have fluctuations in system pressure, your pump might be pumping into expansion tank which confuses the PRV opens to system and relief valve leaks water. Hopefully this was helpful
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions