Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Drain Procedure to Get Desired PSI?

Options
JRizzo
JRizzo Member Posts: 6
I drained my boiler so I could replace some copper lines. Former home owner had mutilated the joists and I needed to sister some new ones in.

After that I filled it from my well pump, bleeding each line one at at time as I went. Now my boiler is at 20PSI (off). I'm assuming once I turn it on I will see an increase in PSI.

My understanding is the desired target is 10-15PSI. What is the proper procedure to drain the boiler to that range? Is it just as simple as cracking open the main drain until the target is reached, or are there other steps?

Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,335
    Options
    Yes -- assuming that the expansion tank is set to the correct pressure, it's just as simple as that. If you didn't fiddle with the expansion tank, it probably is... but it's not hard to check at least roughly. There should be a Schrader valve (like a car tire) on the end opposite the pipe connection. Using a good tire gauge, take the cap off that and measure the pressure in the tank. Should be about the same as your system pressure (should be exactly the same -- but neither tire gauges nor system pressure gauges are not all that accurate). If you get water out, it's shot and you need a new one. If the pressure is significantly higher than the system pressure, try releasing air a bit at a time until you get to the system pressure.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    JRizzo
  • JRizzo
    JRizzo Member Posts: 6
    Options

Yes -- assuming that the expansion tank is set to the correct pressure, it's just as simple as that. If you didn't fiddle with the expansion tank, it probably is... but it's not hard to check at least roughly. There should be a Schrader valve (like a car tire) on the end opposite the pipe connection. Using a good tire gauge, take the cap off that and measure the pressure in the tank. Should be about the same as your system pressure (should be exactly the same -- but neither tire gauges nor system pressure gauges are not all that accurate). If you get water out, it's shot and you need a new one. If the pressure is significantly higher than the system pressure, try releasing air a bit at a time until you get to the system pressure.

I have a scharder on top of my FilTrol.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,335
    Options
    Yours is the type which is mounted with the air down -- there should be a Schrader on the bottom of that tank.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    JRizzo
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,910
    Options
    Just let some water out. Don't touch the air side unless the water side is empty
    JRizzo