Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Creepy Crawl Spaces

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited October 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
imageCreepy Crawl Spaces

October, being the month for ghosts and goblins, seems like the perfect time to reminisce about those tight spots few want to visit, but many must. It’s just the nature of the business, and what could be spookier than a dank, dark crawl space?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Labenaqui
    Labenaqui Member Posts: 72
    My benchmark is installing the first central (hydronic) heating systems in old New England Colonials. At best you have 1-1/2 feet of crawl space and maybe a dug potato cellar under a kitchen floor door to gain access. BTW - those Army Trenching Shovels can work fairly well in crawl spaces.
    Generations of critters having established domicile via loose stone foundations is only the beginning.
    These homes were well, if seemingly crudely built by current standards. Have you ever tried to drill baseboard piping holes through a 200+ old American Chestnut Post & Beam Frame? It's the northern equivalent to Lignum Vitae. Smoking drills and a half-barrel of sweat to follow.
    Sweet(?) Memories .....
  • PRR
    PRR Member Posts: 110
    edited October 2021
    > "Daddy long legs .... one of the most poisonous spiders there are but their teeth are too short to bite humans."
    FWIW: this is not true. One bit Adam Savage but the venom is weak to humans. They do eat deadly redback spiders, but by throwing webbing from a distance. They have never harmed humans.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholcidae

Just don't look at them, not up close. Ugh!
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    Wow, just reading those accounts gave me flashbacks to some of my own crawl space adventures. YIKES Glad I'm retired!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I have watched Utubes from AntiDIY in SC (or is it NC).
    He has some interesting repairs.
    Almost everything is either attic or crawlspace.
    Either area usually has ample room for working and install.

In one of his shows, as he goes into the crawl space, he is greeted by a casket on blocks, being stored there. The calm guy he usually is, he just says "well we won't open that thing".

Maybe a common practice in the SE....IDK.