Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wirsbo radiant heat manifold issues

Options
wirsbozo
wirsbozo Member Posts: 17
edited October 2021 in Radiant Heating
Where to start? Moved into my new house (northern VA) a couple months ago and have been trying to learn about my hydronic heating system. Fixed an issue with the supply to the main hot coil and am now tackling the zone that heats the family room. For this zone, the manifold is no longer supported on the wall, there seems to be some corrosion (or staining at least) on the brass and fittings from leakage at some point (plastic caps on the valves are missing and maybe that might be what allowed the leakage?), and the nut between the temp gauge and the valves holding the two sections together is loose and will weep. I put the round brass cap on the bottom left to stop a small drip (should it drip and should a cap be on there?). I've also closed all the valves to this zone since I don't trust it right now.

First, regarding mounting, I can't seem to get it back up and on the wall in the right position. I plan on calling a professional to do that since I don't want to break any pipes. Anyone know where one could buy the plastic mounting clamps shown in the picture? They seem to have an indent to fit over the manifold perfectly where the raised Wirsbo logo is.

Last company I had by fixed a stuck electric valve for another zone, took a picture of the manifold, and then sent me a proposal to re-mount it and replace the manifold. Not sure it really needs a new manifold, but I don't know much about this sort of system. What do you think might need to be done here to get it back into shape? I want to be armed with as much info as possible even if I don't do any of the work myself -- it's annoying having several companies over who either tell me they don't/cant work on this system or just opt to replace everything without an explanation as to why a new manifold would be needed. Any advice/insight is appreciated!

Comments

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Options
    We don't discuss pricing here, please edit your post. Regarding the issue, the staining is not a problem. They all look like that after a few years, a few drops of water will do it. Move the brackets on the wall to meet the new manifold location if it's an issue for you, no need to overthink it or even call anyone if you own a screwdriver and a drill
    wirsbozoErin Holohan Haskell
  • wirsbozo
    Options
    Edited. Thank you.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Your Wisbo tubing is not a natural color. I am thinking you have an oxygen ingress issue caused by long-term leaks and/or non-barrier tubing. Does the tubing say "Hepex" or "Aquapex" on the side?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    wirsbozo
  • wirsbozo
    Options
    it says "Hepex plus 1/2in SDR9 PEX-a." Coloration is similar to the zone for the basement runtal system, which visually appears to be in good shape:

• Zman
    Options
    The discoloration is usually a result of ferrous materials in the system corroding. This can only happen if fresh oxygenated water is being introduced or oxygen is coming through the tubing. You have the right tubing, so that's good. If you turn off the feed water for a few days, does pressure drop? That would be a sign of an unknown leak.
    If nothing else, your system could use a good flush.
    Albert Einstein
    wirsbozo
  • wirsbozo
    Options
    Thank you. There doesn't appear to be a pressure gauge built into the system, so I'll have to figure out where one would attach a gauge. Everything else (as far as I can tell) appears outwardly bone dry. No telling how long the manifold for the family room zone had been leaking before I moved in, so that might be the culprit, though the previous owners seemed to be pretty meticulous otherwise.

You'll see a brass cap in the lower left. There's a simple open/close valve there. First, what is this valve for. Assuming for bleeding/flushing? Second, should it be replaced since it is dripping tiny amounts? One plumber told me to thread that cap on there to stop the water from escaping..

Speaking of flushing, is that something one could do on their own with minimal equipment? Appreciate the help!
  • Zman
    Options
    If the system has valves in the right place flushing is pretty easy. We would need pictures taken from a wide-angle to be able to tell.
    Albert Einstein
  • wirsbozo
    Options
    Here are a couple pictures of the manifold for the zone with issues and a couple pictures of the boiler room where the pumps for the different zones are. One additional manifold for the basement visible.