Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast Iron BB Remodel

Options
EvenCmft
EvenCmft Member Posts: 5
I have a customer looking to take out their cast iron baseboard to have stripped and repainted. I told them I am not comfortable removing this due to its length and the angle that it has. It is about 20' with a 45-degree bend about a third of the way from one of the ends. My discomfort comes from thinking that I may torque the connecter nipples that may cause a leak. Has anyone removed CIBB and kept it one piece to have cleaned and repainted? All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian Evenson
Even Comfort
West Michigan

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,577
    Options
    Could you even get it out of the house in one piece??

I would investigate the availability of the push nipplesand assembly tools before comitting to this.

If you can get it out in 1 piece (maybe build a wooden brace to support it) have it cleaned and then pressure test it before putting it back in
    EvenCmft
  • EvenCmft
    EvenCmft Member Posts: 5
    Options
    EBEBREATT-Ed That is what I was thinking of, but looking for someone to help confirm or deny my thoughts. Thanks
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 920
    Options
    Stripping it chemically and repainting it in place would make a lot more sense, and almost certainly cost less. 

Bburd
  • woobagooba
    woobagooba Member Posts: 186
    edited October 2021
    Options
    We removed all our CIBB, laid it on the floor (blocked), stripped + primed (on site), put it back up. There are a couple 20 footers. IIRC it was pressure tested and filled with water for leak tests. So far so good. New boiler etc will be fully commissioned in the coming weeks. Full re-pipe with O2 barrier PEX.

IIRC plumber was not confident to move it off site for re-finishing.

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,377
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I second what Ed said. Get some new push nipples and the draw tool.

https://www.consumersplumbing.com/heating-burnham-baseboard/
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    kcopp