Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone know anything about Kewanee's or Fireye?

I'm new to boilers, I just became a Local 94 fireman for NYC DOE public schools. We buttoned up my boilers, filled them, and now we're having some trouble firing. It loops through a regular purge cycle, then repeats the purge cycle without going into a steady heating phase. Seems like a computer issue where the burner isn't receiving a command to run normal operations, just loop through the purge cycles. I have ignition, gas system works, but it won't proceed past the purge cycle. Am I missing something, shouldn't it just proceed with normal operation?

Boiler is a Kewanee L3S-250-G02, dual fuel gas/no. 2 oil. Fireye control unit. The boiler itself is probably late 90's-early 2000's. Some units on the control board have been replaced, I believe the Fireye system is also a replacement. Boiler was retubed in 2018.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Is there an air pressure proving switch that might not be closing?
    Or if you had the gas off maybe a low gas pressure switch that needs manual reset?
    SlamDunk
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    edited September 2021
    Edited: If it was a gas P switch, nothing should start. If air switch doesnt close, purge wouldnt start maybe the blower keeps blowing. If purge cycle is complete and you can 't light pilot the system should lock out. Sounds like you have a hung bit in your computer but even that should generate a lockout.
  • RPK
    RPK Member Posts: 98
    What’s the model number of the Fireye and which programmer does it have?   You should be able to find literature that describes the purge and ignition sequence in detail, and a wiring diagram, then go from there.  
  • @RPK I'm not 100% sure at the moment I'll have that information tomorrow, I believe the Fireye is an E100 model.
    @SlamDunk I believe it may be a computer malfunction. After the purge cycle it says purge cycle complete, then goes back into the purge cycle instead of a regular firing operation. It doesn't lock out, it just purges again. I know the pilot system works otherwise it wouldn't light, I know I'm drawing gas to fire the boiler because my two gas mains are separate (one pilot main, one main to send gas to the boilers) and the boiler line meter indicates an increase after the purge cycles are running.
    @JUGHNE I have automatic Maxon's on either side of my regulator valve alongside the boiler which kick on from the command module. I'll look into the air pressure proving switch, but as SlamDunk said that should lock out the purge cycle from starting so I don't think it's that.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @chriszaremba520

I gather from you post that the gas pilot is lighting but no main flame? Is that correct?

That condition would usually cause a flame failure.

Anything wired into the 3-P circuit (air flow switch, motor starter interlock) are non recycle running interlock circuit would give you a lockout if they open which you are not having apparently.

The limit and operating controls (low water, steam pressure, hot water aqustat etc.) are wired between terminals L1-13. and will recycle the burner (start and stop it) as they open or close

The proof of closure switch for the main fuel valve is wired between 13-3 The 13-3 has to be closed for the burner to start if open it will shut off. A contact in the control bypasses this switch when the main fuel valve opens

Without the wiring diagram in front of me I would look for something in the limit circuit (L1-13) or the proof of closure switch (13-3) if you not getting lockouts

Make sure your fuel valves are open and that your high & low gas pressure switches are reset (they are usually manual reset)

Check the proof of closure switch in the main gas valve and make sure it is closed on start up, this switch opens when the main valve is powered and a contact in the control bypasse the switch to keep the burner on when the valve drives open.

What kind of burner do you have? Is it Kewanees own burner?

Very unusual for the control to not lock the burner out if the pilot flame is lighting

You could have a bad control.

For safety sake if you get this running,(firing) pull the flame scanner out when the burner is running and make sure the burner goes off on safety.

You want this to be safe to run
    RPK
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    If the burner and Fireye control are stopping at the end of the normal purge cycle and not proceeding to the pilot stage I would check the low fire proving switch and if you have a wiring print, anything else that is in that same part of that circuit. For anything else I would call a professional service company for help. Don't make a mistake by doing something "stupid" with a boiler of that size. My 2 cents.
  • SlamDunk
    The pilot is lighting so not the air proving switch and not low fire proving switch. I know some burner systems allow multiple restarts if pilot flame is not established but even then, after three attempts, it should lock out.
  • @EBEBRATT-Ed @retiredguy @SlamDunk I have Pilot Trial Flame Ignition and Main Trial Flame Ignition indicated by the Fireye, and the Maxon's on the main line kick on after the pilot is lit and fire up the main flame. And it'll just make more attempts until I shut it down, nothing is locking it out from the failed attempts at the main fire.
    Also @EBEBRATT-Ed the flame scanner is functioning properly, I double checked this morning.
  • SlamDunk
    edited September 2021
    ok. so if I am reading this right, you get both pilot and main flame then flameout and another purge over and over? Is the Maxon valve open proof switches closing when valve is opened? In particular, the second Maxon "valve is open" switch, is it adjusted to make when valve is open? Then there is the high gas pressure switch (closest to burner) it is often auto resetting but that is a low likelihood if it is tripping because your screen should indicate that .

Still, even if it is either of those, you should lock out eventually and if you don't, your controller is compromised.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    edited September 2021
    I agree with @ slam dunk

Once main flame lights and you don't get a lockout and the fire goes out

I would look for:

a limit or operating control is opening causing the burner to shut down and restart

a bad fireye control

or the proof of closure switch is opening

First thing is to check and see what circuit the high and low gas pressure switches are wire into.

could be in the 3-p lockout circuit (unlikely) you would get a lockout if they open

could be in series with the gas valves (not usually) would get a lockout if they opened

could be in the limit circuit....if they are auto reset they could be shutting you down

You could jump the low gas pressure and high gas pressure to test

But do not leave them jumpered under any circumstances

Some supply houses have a tester for the Fireye control, you could bring it their and have them test it

You need a multimeter and a wiring diagram to check this out

Do you have an electrician on site?
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    Does this unit have draft controls? If it does, is the unit shutting down due to a low draft condition, caused by a draft control not working properly, a loose damper or linkage? As far as a problem with the gas pressure switches, they can cause a recycle or lock out depending how the are wired into the Fireye's circuit.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    What happens to flame signal when main burner lights off.
    SlamDunk
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Or what does it do if you have the main manual gas valve, just before the burner, off?
    Will the pilot stay on?