Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Knockdown Boiler

mmc239
mmc239 Member Posts: 81
I have very narrow staircase access to my basement. I need a gas/steam boiler. Is a knockdown boiler as good as getting one that’s put together already? How large and heavy are the pieces of a knockdown boiler?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    mmc239 said:

I have very narrow staircase access to my basement. I need a gas/steam boiler. Is a knockdown boiler as good as getting one that’s put together already? How large and heavy are the pieces of a knockdown boiler?

How narrow is narrow? Any other access?

Is a knockdown boiler as good? Yes. Provided it is assembled by someone who knows what they are doing. Which is why the installer is critically important. How large and heavy are the pieces? Not that large -- but they can be very heavy.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mmc239
  • mmc239
    Does anyone of pictures of what a knockdown gas steam boiler looks like before, during and after installation for residential?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    No pictures.

After the installation it looks no different than a boiler that was not knocked down.

Before the installation that depends:

Some boilers can be purchased knocked down. It comes in separate cartons, boiler jacket, burner(s), controls and the cast iron sections may be individual or already assembled into blocks, or sometimes the cast iron blocks are purchased assembled then disassembled at the job moved into place and re assembled.

Large commercial cast Iron boilers are usually shipped knocked down although they can be shipped in one piece if they can be set with a crane or forklift

Residential if access is difficult or the boiler is to heavy to move in one piece they can be ordered knocked down.

If reassembled properly there is no quality difference in the installation.

Every job is different.

The choice is determined by access and the boilers weight

mmc239
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    of course a mod con is nice and tiny so that could be an option too.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,954
    mattmia2 said:
    of course a mod con is nice and tiny so that could be an option too.
    He needs a steam boiler 
    mattmia2
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,954
    mmc239 said:
    More info would be helpful. What size boiler are you getting? How wide is the staircase? Just removing the jacket gives more wiggle room.  Are you the installer or the home owner?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @mmc239

You have 3 posts on the same subject. Maybe @Erin Holohan Haskell can fix this up
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    Missed the steam part.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    The sections of the boiler block are shipped on a pallet. 
    Boxes of hardware and trim kits.
    The sections can be carried down separately. 
    Tighten the draw bolts evenly to the torque listed in the manual. 
    Get some plugs to water test the block before piping. 
    This is not DIY if that's where you're going. 
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276

@mmc239

You have 3 posts on the same subject. Maybe @Erin Holohan Haskell can fix this up

Thanks, @EBEBRATT-Ed.
    I've merged all duplicate posts into one here @mmc239.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Has anyone measured your connected radiation?
    This is a key issue to size a new boiler for heating capacity.
    Most older existing steam boiler are oversized by perhaps 2 times.

Bigger (more fire) is not better.

You may find that a new correctly sized boiler is physically smaller than the old one.

We just moved new boilers into a basement, the last doorway was narrow and only the handles had to be removed from the sight glass for adequate clearance.
    These were assembled boilers with all trim attached. (which is easy to remove and reinstall if needed.)