Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help: Leak on American Standard Freedom 80 2-step Acculink (aud2d120acv52aa)

Toonsterwu
Toonsterwu Member Posts: 5
Hello, I'm new here with a big problem with my system, and a big problem with severely limited finances, so was hoping for some advice.

I recently went into my basement and found a bad leak that soaked my carpets. The drain line seemed to be dripping a bit. I shut off the system, cleaned it up (and ripped up the carpet). Afterwards, I tested the system and it was working, but still dripping. I don't know why, I decided to test how long before there was a sizable amount of liquid. After a couple small runs (half hour, an hour, 1.5) where I shut the system off afterwards, it seemed to be working and the temperatures were blistering hot in the East Coast that week. I let it run for several hours, checking intermittently. I know there was dripping and that might not have been smart, but it was really hot and my family asked me to let it run if the water wasn't that bad. I must have dozed off for an hour or two, and I went downstairs maybe about 8 hours in and realized the system had iced up.

So I immediately shut down the system again. After cleaning it up and letting it thaw out (waited about 10 hours), I tried the system again. This time, the outdoor fan was running, but the blower fan wasn't. I tried a couple more times.

Due to severely limited finances, I asked around for guys who might be more affordable, and I found a semi-retired HVAC guy who came out (free of charge, which was awful nice of him, I offered to pay something). He looked at it earlier today and said that the inducer motor wasn't running, but the board looked fine. Said I needed the motor and module for this model, which he doesn't carry with him as he never did much with American Standard. He seems to think motor issues caused everything.

Does that make sense? The motor stopped working after it iced up, but the flooded basement occurred before that. Does anyone have any advice? The model information is listed above. It is an American Standard Freedom 80 2-step acculink. the above bar code was information I found on the side. The semi-retired guy told me this was an older generation model of their newer systems? The outdoors equipment says American Standard 15 on it. I really don't know much about any of this - I was the guy that just switched the air filters, but with the heat coming back, and limited finances, I'm desperate to figure out a solution for my family.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    I assume this is a split ac system. Some pictures would be good. Once it all thaws out, does the blower run if you turn the thermostat to "fan"

I am confused by what yo mean by "inducer". Do you mean the flue draft inducer for a gas furnace or do you actually mean the blower that circulates air in the forced air system?
  • Toonsterwu
    Hi, thank you for a response. I'll try to get pictures this afternoon/evening. Was in a rush to get to work, as I had stayed home to meet the guy.

Everything's thawed out. The blower doesn't run when turned to fan, which is what he told me this morning.

I don't know anything about this stuff. He told me to find an American Standard capable HVAC guy and tell him that the inducer motor and module needed to be dealt with. I believe he's talking about the actual blower that circulates air in the forced air system.
  • Toonsterwu

This is image of the system.

I could be completely wrong, but the white PVC should be the condensate drain line, right? It was dripping water out of there. Later, when it froze up, there was ice around that black and red circle.

Interior. He was talking about the fan in the back here. Said the boards were working, but the motor wasn't and then said needed to test it (and he didn't have the equipment because he's semi-retired). Said more than likely, needed an inducer motor (I don't know if that's the right term) and module.

Said the bar code was necessary for the right equipment.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    edited August 2021
    Loose that pleated filter. 
    It’s too restrictive!
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    He must be talking about the ECM motor and module. The inducer fan is for heat and that's in the upper cabinet. 
    There is a tool, mine is by genteq to test the motor. 
    Be prepared if that's what it is. They aren't cheap. 
    It could be why the system froze.
  • Toonsterwu
    Thanks. Do you have the name of the tool or a link, just so I can take a look at costs?
  • HVACNUT

• pecmsg
    edited August 2021
    IF
    The motor is bad the static pressure MUST be checked. High static kills these motors. 
  • Toonsterwu
    edited August 2021
    Turns out the motor wasn't bad - the previous guy misread it, and another guy came by and said it was still flooded. He pumped freon in and change a pin that he said was causing leaks.

That said, I wonder if I got hustled. We turned the AC on and let it run for a few hours. Now, the ground is soaking again. It is mostly coming from the red pipe to the left of the system (can see in the above photo). I've got no idea what that is, and the guy that came isn't answering my calls. Does anyone have any idea what that red pipe might be for? It doesn't connect to the system - it goes from the ground to the ceiling. That said, the flooding only occurred after the AC was turned on, as it was dry before then.
  • pecmsg
    That Red pipe to the left is a Column that supports the floor above.
  • HVACNUT
    Yes, that "red pipe" is a support column holding up the house. 
    Where does the AC drain to. Maybe the drain is clogged or a bad condensate pump. 
    Does the system work otherwise?