Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cap'n Hook Brazing tips. Anyone use this.

Options
heathead
heathead Member Posts: 234
edited August 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Can't find my torch handle so looking to upgrade to this torch tip and handle. Looking at the Uniweld Cap'n hook brazing tip. Any thoughts? Likes/dislikes?

Main uses brazing ac lines. I know it looks like things are moving toward press fittings or use the no press fittings like the shark bites but for refrigerant. But I Can't seem to be a early adopter. I know I wouldn't have to flow nitrogen and no fire risk.

Thanks
John

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    I've used one once or twice, on separating problematic joints where I didn't have access to get a regular torch head around it fast enough to get it apart safely. It takes some getting used to—I don't think I'd ever use one as my daily driver. But it did get me out of a pickle those few times.

As for the refrigerant sharkbites, we'll see in a few decades how well they last. I have my doubts… WRT the press fittings, I'm trying to steer the company away from them. Too many leaks, even with following the instructions to a tee. The latest one was a VRF system, 190 lbs charge. Now, the leak was caused by someone (cough cough sprinkler fitter) 'adjusting' the pipe to miss a sprinkler main. Not technically the fault of the press system, but a braze wouldn't have started leaking. Thank goodness it wasn't somewhere in the 8 story shaft!

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    heathead said:

I know I wouldn't have to flow nitrogen and no fire risk.

My vote would be for flare if you don't want to braze. I'm not sure i see press as having much of a time or cost advantage here.

SuperTech
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    I only used the press fittings for refrigerant a couple of times then I retired. My old shop uses them. My former co workers tell me it's the smaller sizes that tend to leak...3/8" od etc
    ratio