Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vinyl flooring…

Anyone have experience with luxury vinyl plank or similar flooring ?  Have heard different opinions if thickness or backer type matter (cork or rubber).  I am looking to do my whole house in the same type so durability is important, and the thicker (8mm) seems to get better reviews of not wearing as much. 

I am doing a new build, 1800 sq ft slab, icf footings, with a 4” floor.  Main source of heat will be the radiant in floor heat, fired by on on demand propane boiler.  

Any input on other types of flooring (possibly tile)  or if thickness (3mm bs 5mm vs 8mm) matters to conduct the heat more efficiently, would be appreciated.  

Thanks 

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    A commercial grade would your best bet.
    i have it in my kitchen and it has help up well.
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 554
    When it comes to finished floor covering over a radiant slab, its all about r-value. The higher the r-value, the more insulative it is. It doesn't mean it won't work, it just needs to be accounted for in the design process.
    It affects the under slab insulation, designed supply water temperature and even possibly the tubing spacing.
    Vinyl flooring does have a rather low r-value but you are right, the thicker the backing and type affects the r-value.

Contact the manufacturer for those numbers and then pass along to your designer.

Dave H.
    Dave H
    Zman