Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Baseboard radiator banging on one pipe steam
This is the only baseboard radiator in my entire house and it always bangs on start up but eventually stops during a cycle.
Questions for you:
a) what's the easiest first step in trying to correct this?
b) what radiator vent would you replace the existing one with so I can unscrew it in the future without having to dismount the whole radiator from the wall?
Several observations, some of which you can see in the pictures
1) Looks like kitchen was renovated about 20 years ago and this radiator replaced a traditional cast iron radiator as I can see an old hole in the basement looking up at the subfloor of the kitchen. From main to radiator is counterflow.
2) The radiator is almost completely flat, no back pitch. 1 1/4" pipe with fins
3) Total run out from the main is about 16 feet all in 1 1/4" black pipe. Back pitch for the first 3.5 feet is pretty good around 3.5"/10'. But it makes a 90 degree turn and the next 12 feet is about 1"/10' back pitch, which seems poor pitch and diameter for counterflow and that long of a run. Additional complexity is that this 12 feet runs through a series of rafters using many couplings almost no tolerance to gain more pitch. See my sketch
4) Vent. I can't tell what make/model since it is too tall and does not have clearance against the wall to unscrew it in place.
5) This radiator sits right above the area in the basement with a 275 gallon oil tank so making this parallel flow with a wet return would be difficult since getting the wet return behind the tank would be quite tough.
- 113.6K All Categories
- 81.5K THE MAIN WALL
- 2.6K A-C, Heat Pumps & Refrigeration
- 37 Biomass
- 394 Carbon Monoxide Awareness
- 2.7K Controls
- 1.5K Domestic Hot Water
- 3.9K Gas Heating
- 101 Geothermal
- 136 Indoor-Air Quality
- 2.4K Oil Heating
- 34 Pipe Deterioration
- 596 Plumbing
- 4.4K Radiant Heating
- 336 Solar
- 12.4K Strictly Steam
- 42 Water Quality
- 555 Buy, Sell, Barter
- 22 Industry Classes
- 58 Job Opportunities
- 8 Recall Announcements