Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Combi or not?

Options
2»

Comments

• josephny
    josephny Member Posts: 270
    Options
    Wow, I'm just checking in and the conversation has taken some interesting detours.

I downloaded the excel tool for hot water demand after watching the video (which is brilliant -- thank you Larry). I added one "other fixture" of 2gpm with a 5% chance of usage and I get a 99th percentile demand of 11gpm.

It sure sounds like a safe approach is to have a large indirect tank (80-100 gallons).

Anyone care to address either why it's wrong or unwise to use a modulating boiler that goes from 20-100kbtu so that when heat is called it can operate at 20 and when hot water is called it can operate at 100?

Thank you!
    Larry Weingarten
  • josephny
    josephny Member Posts: 270
    Options
    I was looking at the AO Smith tankless.

Am I correct that I would probably want to set the tankless to 125 degrees F. if my ground water is 40 degrees F, that's an 85 degree rise. According to the product's specs, it would max out at 8gpm.

Are my numbers correct?

I wonder what happens if the draw is 10gpm? Does the water temp drop?

I do like the idea of a tankless and have them in quite a few other places.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Without some hard data it is basically speculation. I feel Larry is closest with a 3-4 gallon max. draw with typical low flow fixtures. A large fast fill soaking tub would throw a wrench in the calculations. There are updated fixture unit sizing tables available, adjusted for today’s DHW loads. 
    Whichever way you go you need to size to the largest load, period. If you want or think you need 8 gpm continuously then Jamie’s math is how you would determine required BTU.
    combi and tankless work fine IF you work within their limitations.
    A 150 combi with a 10-1 turndown covers must residential jobs.
    Of all the choices the tank combi that Rich showed covers all bases.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Larry Weingartenjosephny
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,011
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I once installed a combi boiler for a house here in Berkeley about the same size as yours. It wasn't at my suggestion; instead as the owner requested. He was committed to using less energy and water; installed water saving shower heads and scheduled showers and water usage for his large family.

There are those, however, that never want to think about running out of hot water, no matter what the demand is. That's what the large capacity, high recovery tanks or on-demand heaters are for.

First world problems.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Larry Weingartenjosephny
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Not only is it what I would recommend to a customer with your requirements , I would use it in my own home as well under those wants and needs .

You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    josephny
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,672
    Options

I once installed a combi boiler for a house here in Berkeley about the same size as yours. It wasn't at my suggestion; instead as the owner requested. He was committed to using less energy and water; installed water saving shower heads and scheduled showers and water usage for his large family.

There are those, however, that never want to think about running out of hot water, no matter what the demand is. That's what the large capacity, high recovery tanks or on-demand heaters are for.

First world problems.

The thing is if you use an indirect with a really well insulated tank and design it so that a modcon can condense while heating it, the difference in efficiency between the indirect and a combi or tankless is negligible.
    josephny
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    May I humbly submit that the choice as to whether to run out of hot water... or schedule showers... or use low flow shower heads... or wear a hair shirt... is one which should be made by the individual, not forced upon them. I will readily grant that water is real short in some places -- southern California or Las Vergas are decent poster children for the problem -- but that is a result of errors and omissions in the application of available technology (and, to a certain extent, inappropriate pricing of a commodity), and that is a political problem, not a first world problem.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    josephny
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Just did some back of the envelope scribbling... if one combines treatment and recycling of grey and black water with pretty basic solar distillation, you'd need around a quarter section of desert devoted to your solar collection system to supply LA using seawater... if you did it intelligently.

Or the waste heat from San Onofre would do it very nicely, too... oh I forgot. The greens shut that down. OK.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England