Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Feeder Pump connection to Hartford Loop or into boiler?

Options
JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
Doing multiple boilers (two) for a system.
I&O manual says to connect feeder pump supply into HL.
Common discussion here and in the TLAOSH says to connect to lower return inlet of boiler. Actually I would like to pump into the unused boiler inlet (left side) on the opposite side of the header drip.
The M&M 150 pump controller will be on the drip side. (right side)
I feel the pump flow may affect the float action of the 150.
I had planned to connect the 150 to a tee on the upper 1 1/4" skim port (right side) for the top steam feed and the lower connection to the 1 1/4" header drip well below the water line on the right side.

These are small boilers; PB 63-05L (12.4 gallons) and PB 63-04 (10.8 gallons).
I have seen a similar installation where the feeder pump will kill the steam and bump the water level up and down. Even with the input throttled down by two valves and for that system I did install a by-pass from the pump discharge directly back into the tank. The by-pass is fully open ball valve, (not full flow valve, but nearly so).

Still the smallest feeder pump is more than ever needed for even two boilers.

Or would the pump input being opposite of the lower 150 connection affect the water level for the float?
Another option is a port on the left side that is the 1" (tank return for indirect), this is towards the front but a little higher than the left return opening but not directly across from the right side return.

Actual question is if has anyone ever been questioned by the AHJ for not having pump output connected to the HL, as stated in the I&O manual?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    I would pipe the feed pump into the boiler.....not the HL to prevent pumped water from getting into the header. two check valves required 1 at the boiler 1 at the feed pump

You could always put a tee or weld-o-let in the equalizer so you can change it if the inspector gets his pants in a bunch.

Your bypass valve is the best way to control the flow along with choking the pump a little so it's not overloaded on Amps.

Not sure if it matters on feed tapping location. Staying as far away from the 150 as you can makes sense.

Yes, feed water kills steam. I have seen jobs with cold feed water........the boiler needs water so the pump comes on and feeds water....kills the steam.....pressure drops and water in boiler steams faster because it is now under lower pressure.

I fact I had a school where the engineer downsized the boilers a lot. On a cold start just as the boiler started to steam the water line went nuts. As the steam entered the cold system piping it condensed and the supply pipe went into a vacuum. They had a pressure transducer on the supply header. As soon as the header had a +.2psi everything calmed down
    JUGHNE
  • Pat_11
    Pat_11 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Each steam boiler needs its own pump or one pump and a motorized valve for each boiler. PB Heat has a nice piping diagram and guide.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi5lP-C68vwAhUUFVkFHaQLBy8QFjAOegQIBBAD&url=https://www.peerlessboilers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/TwoPipeSteam.pdf&usg=AOvVaw27bf-0-1sJh7dBjEHLeI6E

Typically AHJ is concerned with safety features I.e. LWCO, p-trol, etc.

Biggest issue with multiple steam boilers is maintaining correct water line in each boiler when one is off. Gets harder with the smaller boiler because less wiggle room. Good luck.
    EBEBRATT-Ed
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    Dump trap from each boiler at the high water level of the boiler back to the feed tank is a must
    Henry
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Yes, drip trap at each boiler.
    I am going to pump into the side of the boiler opposite of the LWCO-feeder pump control.
    The AHJ is still pondering this rather than HL entry. There are plenty of piping diagrams with return water pumped into the boiler rather than HL.......but not any I have seen for Peerless.

Another question, is anyone familiar with PB-63 series boilers?
    I would like to temporally remove the draft hoods to get boilers into the basement..... simple, a few screws or not?
    I have removed draft hoods on other boilers for cleaning, they were the few simple screws.