Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle Tube Vs. Lochinvar or Maybe Navien Combi?

Options
jeffceo
jeffceo Member Posts: 27
edited April 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Yes, I am looking for your opinion :-)

Looking to replace a 16 year old Laars Endurance 110 EBP (propane). Need a combi unit with DHW and heat. 2 zone raised ranch. 1 zone is baseboard, 2nd zone is hydro air handler. I do have well water but it is neutralized and softened so it should be decent.

I have heard enough mixed things about Navien to be a little concerned... although parts seem to be available anywhere you look. People seem to either love or hate them.

Triangle Tube, Lochinvar, Rinnai and Navien seem to be the most available units in my area. Any opinions? My main concern is reliability and longevity.

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Lochinvar stands out from those you mentioned.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    delta T
  • plumbbob
    plumbbob Member Posts: 19
    Options
    lochinvar noble combi
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Combi’s-people either love them or hate them!—NBC
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    All four of those makes are good, and none is better than the installer and the installer's understanding of how to install, pipe, and control them. They are not plug and play by any stretch.

That said, sizing is critical, particularly with high performance modulating units -- since you can't achieve the benefits you are paying much money for it the unit is the wrong size. And this is where combis, as a group, have a problem: Sometimes one which is the right size for your heating loads is also right for the domestic hot water load. Usually not...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England