Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does a boiler require a specific type of drain valve?

I have a Burnham IN6 steam boiler. I noticed last night the drain valve (I'm sure there's some other name for this part) located on the right side of the boiler was dripping. I tried googling for the part but I can't seem to find this part unless I google "water heater drain valve". Was this the correct part? What should I use to replace this? Do I need to add any fittings to extend this?


  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 873
    yes the drain valve from a water heater is the right replacement.

  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 1,900
    That drain valve was from a era of supplied crappy drain valves. I call it a do not touch valve . I would replace it with a 3/4" drain valve , 3/4" brass coupling and nipple ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,317
    My 2013 steam boiler had a slow drip at the boiler drain valve by year 2. Because of it's location I patched it with a brass threaded cap and teflon tape.

    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 1,900
    With that type valve the bonnet is sealed with a gasket , there is no packing it may leak with a cap ... Crappy valve
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 3,759
    Here's a Weil-McClain one but why do they shrink down the outlet like that?? I guess to provide the garden hose hookup. But I don't have any floor drains, so I just empty mine into a bucket anyway.


    I just used a full port ball valve with a nipple and a street elbow to aim the flow downward :

    1 pipe Peerless 63-03L in Cedar Grove, NJ, coal > oil > NG