Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Green anti-freeze

Options
We are installing a new boiler and the anti-freeze is bright Green, the boiler anti-freeze I have always seen was mostly red. How can I test if this is Car anti-freeze. Thanks

Comments

• psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 833
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that green color means ethylene glycol or automobile antifreeze. Red color ususally means propylene glycol. Propylene glycol can also be clear or yellow. Propylene glycol is environmentally safe. Green colored ethylene glycol is NOT.
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    I'll go out on a limb here and say this. If the antifreeze in your heating system or anywhere near your domestic water system is green it needs to be removed and properly disposed of and then replaced with the proper stuff. In my experience propylene glycol is RED. Ethylene is green and highly toxic. Unless the installer can prove with 100% certainty and confirmation that it's propylene then it's not. I'd be interested to hear what other have to say about this.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,640
    Options
    Automotive antifreeze in the us usually has an additive that smells like dead fish, so it can sometimes be identified by smell. I have used propylene glycol that is dyed blue.
  • Ctoilman
    Ctoilman Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Yep, seen green automobile glycol used in heating systems over the years....functional yes BUT no way kosher nor to code.  Eventually the boiler will leak and you sure don't want the family pet to lap it up....it's a nasty way to die.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    Propylene glycol comes in different colors. It has to be sent out and analyzed!
    GroundUp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,142
    Options
    Color is not a good indicator of the type of fluid. I have used Rhomar PG, blue colored, Hercules Cyro-Tek PG is pink, Dowfrost is clear, Dowfrost HD is fluorescent yellow. I've also seen red and orange colored PG.

We sell a corn based BIO glycol for hydronics and high temperature solar that is bright fluorescent green.

If it gets overheated often it all turns coffee colored, smells like a dirty locker room.

Jiffy Lube and others will recycle small quantities for you, doesn't matter if it is PG or EG as automotive applications use both now.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    STEVEusaPA
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    Interesting. Learn something new every day. I've only seen red PG but that's probably regional. 99% of my purchases have been from Webb. You'd think color coding would be a good idea.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    Grallert said:
    Interesting. Learn something new every day. I've only seen red PG but that's probably regional. 99% of my purchases have been from Webb. You'd think color coding would be a good idea.
    Like Refrigerants?

now there going All Gray

This should be real interesting!
  • Jay_insula1203
    Jay_insula1203 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks to every one who responded - this such a great Resource
  • aperson
    aperson Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Is there a container, SEALED container that it is in? Read the ingredience. Can you google the brand's colour and cross reference it with the colour of what is in the container. If it is some stuff in something someone gave you, give it back. You do not want ethylene at all.