Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Work or Play?

Options
HomerJSmith
HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
I just realized that when I design a new system, I not working. What I am doing is playing. I'm blessed that I can do it and I am now seeing it that way.

It has been said that if a man does what he likes, he never works a day in his life.
PC7060ratioEdTheHeaterMan

Comments

• retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 906
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Wow, I was on vacation for 40 years and got paid for it. How great is to live in the USA. Thank you @ HomerJSmith. Do you want to hire a 76 year old guy who has been on vacation for 40 years and enjoying 13 years of retirement. I will bring my own iced tea and sun screen.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Since I’m new at this, I’ve spent some time at home looking up components, specs and laying out a couple boiler systems I’ve installed or quoted.

Then when we pulled out a poorly installed 1 year old Noritz Combi that was giving the owner of a rental duplex trouble (installed a proper boiler with indirect), I couldn’t help myself and installed it in my house after converting two steam radiators to hot water (that never heated well on a modern gas boiler due to their long short design) and piped it in series ahead of my indirect. Going to add in floor radiant when we renovate our kitchen rather than relocate a steam radiator.

High Mass cast iron really does heat nice.... dare I say, much better than steam. Sorry steam heads. Hard to beat having about 1 gallon of water for every 10 EDR keeping a cast iron radiator hot for hours.

I enjoy tinkering and seeing how the system responds. Can always use the install practice. First time I converted a couple radiators and had to rely on manually drilling and tapping against water pressure. No leaks. On one radiator had to drill and tap 1/2” for the return and 18” for the air vent. The other other had to cut out a bushing and tailpiece.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    If there's anything else you'd rather be doing...it's work.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

GroundUp