Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler rapidly firing over and over

winterof99
winterof99 Member Posts: 1
My steam boiler is firing for 1 second short bursts over and over again. Sometimes it will do it 10-20 times and then the flame stays constant. Sometimes it doesn’t stay constantly lit and the short bursts are never ending, and sometimes it doesn’t do it at all. 

Not sure where to go with this and it’s driving me crazy. Any info you all may need to help I will do my best to get

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    You desperately need to get a competent tech. in there to thoroughly clean and adjust that boiler -- which takes training and the correct digital instruments. Something is way out o whack -- and that's the only way to fix it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,632
    What kind of controls does it have? Is it an old millivolt system?
  • Ctoilman
    Ctoilman Member Posts: 105
    Oil burner?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    @winterof99

Someone either you or your technician needs to remove the pressure control and check to see if the piping to it or the pigtail are plugged. Also check and clean the low water cutoff.

Does the water level bounce much when steaming? More Than an inch or so may be causing the LWCO to trip.

Bottom line if it is not going off on safety the 3 cntrols that would be suspect are the thermostat, pressure control or low water cut off
    STEVEusaPAkcopp
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 912
    edited April 2021
    If you have an oil burner, this can be caused by a failing primary burner control.

Bburd
    Ctoilman